Mira 8 mixer shower - no hot water flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Got a very old Mira 8 mixer shower which does not deliver a drop of hot water. Cold water is fine, but setting it to hot effectively turns it off. Hot water in the house is also fine – got hot water at every tap in the house including at the bathroom sink next to it.

I’m thinking the cartridge needs some attention or replacing. Tried undoing the nut on the front to open it up, but it wouldn’t budge – in fact the feed elbows want to shift around with it, and that’s the moment when the towel was thrown in, not wanting to risk a leak within the wall.

Probably some heat would help shift it, but I’m thinking that’s going to knacker the seals?

What I would like to do is undo the feed pipes either side, remove the whole thing from the wall, and put it in a vice, or anything to grip it, to open it up. Is that possible? It should be OK to undo the compression nuts either side because the force is applied on a different axis, so it shouldn’t move the pipework in the same potentially risky direction.

Feedback would be very much appreciated.

Here is a diagram of the valve in question: http://cdnnet.showerdoc.com/images/products/mira_8.jpg

Sponsored Links
Follow-up: Okay, well I'm now thinking that the lack of hot water may actually be due to an air lock. I hooked the shower mixer up to the outside tap with the garden hose and there is some flow of water. I'm not sure it's 100% what it should be, but as there was originally no water running at all, that's a big improvement. How long is a good length of time to leave there hose there doing its thing?

Not getting anywhere fast with this problem are you. Maybe its because your post is missing vital information. like when was the last time, if it ever worked OK?. Is it a High or Low pressure mixer?

Sponsored Links
Hi Buck - it's low pressure, hence the garden tap malarky. As for the last time it worked properly, I have no idea, sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back