Misleading connector ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased these today from TLC. They came with no packaging or instructions. Is it me, or is the labelling incorrect on them?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLRC3.html

As an instruction on how to wire them, they are blatantly incorrect. However, having wired them (correctly, with the pins on the appliance cable), then if you consider the writing as an instruction on where to plug them, it is sort of correct. The inserts only fit their respective covers, they are not interchangeable.

Either way, it could be misleading. If you think it is incorrect I will email TLC and let them know.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is definitely wrong.

I think your possible reason for it is being far to kind.

There should be instructions from the manufacturer for items like these.

The instructions are quite clear.
With the protruding pins it says to connect to mains.
Result = one widowmaker.

Not even an American lawyer could talk a suppliers way out of that one.

These things should be labelled in a fool-proof manner. After all, not every member of the public is sensible.

Take it to Trading Standards.

It would be nice to think that someone at TLC would face imprisonment, but then that sort of thing might interfere with unfettered callous capitalist free trade, and we couldn't have that.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible that the inserts can be removed and swapped?

Might at least offer an explanation as to what happened...

look at it the other way,

if the plug with the pins is already attached to the appliance then the statement is correct.

I have noticed in the past, when I have purchased this type of connector that the instruction seem to suggest that the male connector is fitted to supply side, this is true of a three pin masterplug I purchase not so long ago!

if the plug with the pins is already attached to the appliance then the statement is correct.
You mean if someone who didn't know better had connected it the opposite way to which the wording states it then tells him what to do next.

Do you work for an insurance company?

He's right you know.

This Permaplug has the connector with the sockets labelled "CONNECT TO MAINS".

and this one from Wickes is the same

So which is correct? These, or the TLC ones in my original post? The labelling is inconsistent at best and possibly downright dangerous!

The TLC ones are wrong.

The others are correct, with 'Connect to Mains' on the socket part with the holes, 'Connect to Appliance' with the exposed pins.

Thanks for the consensus of replies. I've emailed TLC and ML accessories (the manufacturer). I will keep you informed!

Take it to Trading Standards.

It would be nice to think that someone at TLC would face imprisonment, but then that sort of thing might interfere with unfettered callous capitalist free trade, and we couldn't have that.

I like to think a custodial sentence would not be justified for merely selling an incorrectly labelled connector.

Yeah - on reflection you're right - if they've been stocking them for a while and a bad batch comes in, it would be a tad unreasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back