Mistake on domestic installer certification? what impact?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got my domestic installer certificate back and there may be a mistake on it (ignoring the bits he's overwritten as he got it wrong the first time he wrote it).

Page 3 lists the different circuits, for the number of points served he's listed the number as 18. Is this the actual number of points that have a socket in the house or something else?

What effect is there with this being wrong? I'm thinking specifically when i come to sell the house but are there other occasions it could be checked?

I think we're definitely out by one and maybe more as there are some sockets on a spur that I don't think have been counted. Should the spur count as one or as one for each socket group?

Sponsored Links
A double socket is counted as 2.

A switched fused spur or unswitched fused spur is counted as 1, even if it supplies a single socket below a kitchen worktop for example.

I wouldn't worry about it personally.

The number of points are counted on every circuit.

So for example, all the lights on every lighting circuit will be counted. This will not include counting the light switches.

A double socket is counted as 2.

Not necessarily. I believe NICEIC suggest that they are considered to be two points, but if one was to read the definitions then it could only be construed to be one point.

So long as the person is consistent in their approach then I would suggest that that is the main thing.

Sponsored Links
IMO it works like this. Each accessory counts as one point. So:

Single socket outlet 1 point
Double socket outlet 1 point
Fues spur 1 point

5 GU10 downlights 5 points

Single light fitting with 5 x GU10 lamps in it 1 point

Here's one to get you going:

what about a fused spur feeding a socket for a washing machine. Is that one or two points?

Confused yet?

I might ask NAPIT for their understanding. This is going to be fun!!

what about a fused spur feeding a socket for a washing machine. Is that one or two points?
What about a fused spur supplying 4 sockets and another fused spur supplying 4 lights, and with one of the 4 sockets used to supply a UPS which in turn supplies a wall-mounted 5-gang socket strip?

B****r - I meant to edit my post, but clicked quote instead. If you look closely you'll see the difference between the original and the "quoted" one.

:oops:

What effect is there with this being wrong? I'm thinking specifically when i come to sell the house but are there other occasions it could be checked?
In reality, none whatsoever.

Even if someone wants to buy the house, they most certainly will not be counting the number of socket outlets and then requesting the documentation to see if the numbers are correct.
Even in the world of the impossible where that actually happened, who would care?

My spies tell me that the "Number of Points" thingy is meant so that when a subsequent inspection is done the follow on electrician knows how many points have to be inspected.

Very nice in a pure sense but (certainly for domestic) I have yet to find a customer who has any documentation about anything. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back