Mitre Bond - Not so fast!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've use Mitre Bond before and can't think of anything better that simply sticks so well and quickly.

The problem for me is that it sticks too quickly! I need a few more seconds to align the pieces together.

Is there a way of slowing down the adhesion rate such as either not using the activator or using much less?

If there are alternative products then please let me know.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I use the Ever Build Mitre Fast, same stuff. Problem is it uses the activator that does what it says on the tin and sets the glue in about ten seconds. Occasionally I just use the glue without the activator but that does take significantly longer. All the super glue type products work reasonably quickly on their own and very quickly if you use an activator. The only alternatives are the other various wood glues and clamps that can, in some instances, take days to go off fully. I suppose proper glued joints and clamps is the proper way to go, yanno like all those blokes on You Tube that don't even have any sawdust around their pristine workshops.

Seriously though those are the options. Super glue fixers are good but very fast especially if the activator is used. Nails, screws and joints are alternatives as is slow traditional types of wood glues.

if you need a bit off time activator to hand
align till your happy then spray will take longer as the chemical reaction has to happen from the edge in
if you want to see how it works flat board a trail off superglue say 6 inches long and about 5mm wide spray one end pointing away to the open end

Thanks, I see the Everbuild one does actually advertise 10 seconds which would be perfect!
Spraying the edge will require three hands unfortunately!
Maybe if I give it a very light spray it'll give me some more time? Maybe I'm already using too much?
Failing that, I may give Everbuild a go.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
practice on a few offcuts. use a couple of pencil checkmarks. for unit trim (cornice, pelmet etc) you can use basic 90* jigs to assemble on the floor or bench.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back