mitres joins to ridge and hips

Sponsored Links
Read all you like .. those that know , know ..
That's pretty condescending data, the guy is asking why, he said (in not so many words) he wasn't trying to be 'one of those customers' yet you still gave him grief. What's the point in responding if that's all you have to say?

That's pretty condescending data, the guy is asking why, he said (in not so many words) he wasn't trying to be 'one of those customers' yet you still gave him grief. What's the point in responding if that's all you have to say?
Cheers, yeah was a nice response to a genuine question but hey ho, on this forum negativity is often the way ;)

I get the fact that just because manufacturers offer products, said products might not always be considered best practice by tradespeople or diy'ers come to that. So I was interested to know, given the likes of Marley offer an apex cap to be used in that area (with that style of tile) why roofers don't consider it best practice, preferring to go down the route as per OPs picture.

I give help to genuine problems. I'm not here to help google warriors fill in missing gaps that one can only get from experience .
I don't go an electrical forum and say I'm not an electrician but i think one wire goes to the left and one to the right .. and other must go somewhere else ..

Sponsored Links
I give help to genuine problems. I'm not here to help google warriors fill in missing gaps that one can only get from experience .
I don't go an electrical forum and say I'm not an electrician but i think one wire goes to the left and one to the right .. and other must go somewhere else ..
What are you talking about? Google 'warrior', really?!?

Ha Ha HAaaa

I'm SIMPLY asking why the method used in the OPs post is considered better/best practice over the use of products such as the following. I'm not inferring that I know better, I'm not writing a 20k word dissertation on whether or not plastic apex caps should be used, I'm not a spy for the roofing product industry.

Oh yeah, for info, your analogy doesn't work, cause like I say, I don't think I suggested anywhere in this thread how the job should be completed ;)

For now ... Google Warrior signing off :) :) :)

marley-modern-plastic-hip-apex-cap-for-25-35-degree-pitch---brown-36735.jpg

What are you going to do on a say 50 degree roof ?
He didn't say he was intending to do anything on any roof of any specified pitch. He simply asked a question as to why a plastic apex cap wouldn't / shouldn't be used in place of the approach taken on the OP's roof.

I'd also be interested to know this, having had a similar job done on my previous house where they also cemented the tiles at the apex. They did a really tidy job and so I never questioned it but I did often wonder why a cap wasn't used.

I would ask the question but that appears to be forbidden!

Last edited:
He didn't say he was intending to do anything on any roof of any specified pitch. He simply asked a question as to why a plastic apex cap wouldn't / shouldn't be used in place of the approach taken on the OP's roof.

I'd also be interested to know this, having had a similar job done on my previous house where they also cemented the tiles at the apex. They did a really tidy job and so I never questioned it but I did often wonder why a cap wasn't used.

I would ask the question but that appears to be forbidden!
Don't worry, I think I've got datarebal sussed ;)

Person
I'm thinking of using some left over standard mdf I have to repair that hole in my shed wall. I can just screw it to the outside, covering the hole. Any reason why I shouldn't do that?

Normal Response
Standard mdf isn't designed for exterior use tbh. Check out Google for woods that are better suited to exterior use, or ask at your local timber merchant if you have one.

Datarebal Response
And what if it rains?!? Those who know know mate, those who know know.

Person
I'm thinking of buying myself the new Ford Fiesta that was launched last year. What do you think? Any reason why I shouldn't?

Normal Response
MMmmm, I'm not too sure mate. I've read some negative things about the new engine in that model. Think there have been a couple of recalls. Maybe check out some Ford forums and do some Googling to find out more.

Datarebal Response
Hope you're looking forward to calling the RAC a lot mate!!! Those who know know mate, those who know know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back