Mix for first and second coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to plastering but have taken steps to make a good job of it. Although my first two walls are looking pretty good (ah but when the paint goes on all may not be as it seems!) I had a panic on my second go as the plaster was starting to set on the spot board as I was finishing the first coat so I reckoned that I had to make a fresh mix up .. a lot of swearing and chaotic splashing followed !
Is it normal for a new mix to be needed for the second coat (is this called 'laying on'?) or am I simply working too slowly (I was pretty quick I thought .. less than 15 minutes for the wall).
I can't seem to find an answer to this online.
The trowelling mostly went well except that I had missed some small dips on the second coat and couldn't get them to fill - is this normal i.e. it's too late at this stage. I shall take greater care on my third attempt.
BTW really enjoying learning this new skill.
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
When you bought the plaster , did you check the date on the bag? , it should be at least 3 months to the expiry date otherwise it will set pretty damn quick no matter what you do with it.
The second point about it setting too quickly, if you don't PVA the wall beforehand it will suck all the moisture out of the plaster and set fast .
Get yourself a speedskim ( 600mm ) as using one of these makes the job of flattening the plaster much easier and quicker.
I suggest that you join a plastering forum and on this one ;http://www.plasterersforum.com/ they have how to guides for DIYers , the language can be a bit colourful but a good resource to help your skills.

Mike

Your technique is wrong somewhere. The whole principle of plastering is to push a load of mud across the wall filling in the low spots as you go. A 13 inch trowel in circular sweeps will give you a very flat wall.

thanks guys
yes I am sure my technique is far from perfect. I'll try again tomorrow!
plaster (thistle multi from Wickes) was all dated Feb2016 so that seems a bit 'old' according to what you say - doesn't help a novice.
hmm ...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back