MK 100A DP Isolator Switch is vocal

rlc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My MK 100A DP isolator switch occasionally makes a slight noise - it appears that it clicks or ticks for short periods of time....I noticed it when I was taking my meter readings and initially thought there was some intruder in the cupboard......on further investigation I located it in the CU. I'm suspecting it may be faulty but does it present a risk?

Sponsored Links
Yes it may pose an immediate hazard.

It sounds like there is either a loose connection to the switch or a contact in the switch which is not making proper contact.

You should get an electrician to check it out ASAP.

Please be aware if you attempt to check this your self the top half of the switch will remain LIVE EVEN WITH THE MAIN SWITCH TURNED OFF.

Hello,
I would investigate this further,or get someone who is competent to do so,as this does not seem right. Maybe the connections are loose and you can hear 'arcing'??
Let us know how you get on'

Thanks RF Lighting - I will contact one first thing in the morning.

Sponsored Links
Code 1 innit RF ???? :LOL:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry rlc, i should explain, a code 1 means that it requires urgent attention in electricians talk !

Are you sure it isn't your electricity meter? These omit a clicking noise when the counter moves.

It could still be a loose connection so its best to get it checked, but in the mean time, watch your meter and see if the clicks correspond to the meter dials moving.

Davy

Nice one Davey, I didn't think of that ! :eek:
rlc, What kind of meter do you have, 'digital' or a 'spinning wheel' ??

Good old spinning wheel.....rest of house slowly moving to digital but metering hanging on. I would say it's similar to a relay coil 'clattering' when coil hasn't enough power to energised it but not that loud. I'm 99% sure it's the isolator switch and as there is a possibility of a latent defect the 'bleeder' is coming out today...house still standing this morning, slept with one eye open and the sniffer dog next to the CU :LOL: Thanks for the words and advice certainly appreciated.
~rlc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back