Modern toilet flushes

Ps, I am am appreciating people's help but would prefer not to be called mate (or love)
:)
Apologies ,no offence intended.

There is a large nut ,usually plastic, on the underside , that's what the flush valve screws into . To assemble properly ,the flush valve goes in position ,with washer below it ,and the nut is tightened from below. The way you are doing it ,you are rotating the valve and in doing so ,tightening against the seal with a " twisting" force being applied to the seal. It's entirely possible that this is not making a watertight seal ,and is the cause of the water loss

Sponsored Links
If you really don't want to remove the cistern ,you could take apart ,dry it all,and apply silicone to both sides of the lower washer and re fit it ,you may get lucky and it may seal.

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn't see this when I was writing my last one. I get it that I might be twisting the washer out of shape. Also the downward pressure I mentioned in relation to other washer would also temporarily flatten / help the other washer if there's a problem. I'm going to have another go at it tomorrow. Thank you for your help and your patience with me. I was convinced the issue was in one place when it could easily be elsewhere.
Apologies for taking so long to describe the issue. Best wishes to you.

Sponsored Links
Will do. Some of our replies are out of synch but I've now seen all your advice. Love the phrase 'you may get lucky'. I think most of my plumbing successes rely on this!

Update:
In the words of the EU bloke...
There should be a special place in hell for.. whoever designed the close coupled modern flush system toilet.
My toilet probably has multiple issues.
The main seal is fairly tight (although I accept that the fact I don't want to take cistern off wall means my screwing in is not ideal). The drop seal is brand new.
Two other weak points are the bolts which attach cistern to bowl. I have noticed a small patch of water on the floor, but not that much and had assumed it was condensation (children have lits of long showers). But I noticed the wing nut had sort of list it's thread. It could be that water wa getting through there then most of it back along to pan via the labyrinth between the two units. The donut maybe compromised, and I used loads of sealant when fitting 10yrs ago but there are probably various channels for water to run.
At one point I tried tapping the bolt so I could remove it. But all my hammer did was bend it. I thought I am risking more damage if I hit any harder. What a stupid design to have a bolt and washer sitting in water the whole time. So I borrowed the wingnut from other side and now all seems very dry. This then created a drop the other side, so I had to find a nut from elsewhere and fit that. This was not a pleasure as it didn't turn by hand and the bolts are quite long!
So I might be there or I may have to get someone in. If it was all new I am sure I could fit and replace, but the reason I didn't want to take cistern off is I know it would create other issues. Eg the two wall bolts may not come out easily, then I can imagine a load of paint coming off with the cistern and so on.
I really think that modern toilets are a very bad design. As someone mentioned earlier, the old type you really could see what was happening, nothing much was sitting in water. The L shoot between the cistern and pan could be tricky, but it was easy to see where the problem was.
Thanks.

That's not the only nut!

Andy
I didn't mind this joke. But in my defence I had fitted it a long time ago, and I assumed there was some kind of thread in the actual porcelain hole. I know that might sound ridiculous. The close couple design is silly in my view. As I have just posted, removing a cistern is fine if all is fairly new, but not when things have bedded in and even starting to rust! It does not seem well designed for easy servicing, as is the case I am told with modern cars. It's hard work even getting at a headlight in many cars. Anyway I'll stop now before I sound like a brexiteer moaning about how everything was better in the olden days.

No. I'm pretty much where I was before Saturday. Very slow trickle.
I have solved the small leak on floor which I had assumed was condensation.
I'm secretly hoping it might cure itself (I know things like this tend to get worse). But maybe one day something will move and a bit of debris will end up in the *right* place
:)
I attach a picture of the toilet. Next weekend I will consider taking cistern off wall. For now I'll put up with it. Thanks again for your patience and help.
Will never buy this type again!

Attachments

• 16314656352546622019008711804259.jpg
    16314656352546622019008711804259.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 46
Just a thought ,is cistern overfilling ,and water running through an internal overflow ???

Absolutely not, but thanks for asking. I know this could have been it. I understand how most of it works. I have he column is definitely above level of water and there is a twist on column to lock it in position etc. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back