Modern toilet flushes

terryplumb
could I ask one more quick question if I happen to fit new parts sooner rather than later...
The white bit which screws into the plastic nut under cistern ....
When originally fitting this I had to cut it down a bit. This is because the length of the part seemed to be longer than the actual gap between close coupled units. Obviously I cut it after fitting , otherwise it would be harder to start the thread. Please confirm that this makes absolutely no difference to whats going on above.
Im thinking that the seal that moves up then down again, although I have replaced this,...the thing it comes down on ie white plastic rim maybe that is not 100% smooth.

Sponsored Links
terryplumb
could I ask one more quick question if I happen to fit new parts sooner rather than later...
The white bit which screws into the plastic nut under cistern ....
When originally fitting this I had to cut it down a bit. This is because the length of the part seemed to be longer than the actual gap between close coupled units. Obviously I cut it after fitting , otherwise it would be harder to start the thread. Please confirm that this makes absolutely no difference to whats going on above.
Im thinking that the seal that moves up then down again, although I have replaced this,...the thing it comes down on ie white plastic rim maybe that is not 100% smooth.
Makes no difference ,and if you are going to replace ,fit a better quality flush valve ,such as the one Andy linked to above.

Sponsored Links
Fixed. Yey
Eventually the receiving nut under cistern clearly was turning on itself. And I had no choice but to take cistern off. Cleaned everything thoroughly. Fitted new system. Tested the cistern outside for a few hrs that it actually held eg including bolt washers. Anyway new donut, all back on and absolutely fine. Thanks for your patience and advice.
A thing which may make you laugh..
I had forgotten that bolts are pinned to cistern by another set of nuts not just fly nuts underneath. So my attempt at tapping them up wards in situ had been futile.
Outside of the cistern they are a bit rusty and worn, but seal is OK and they are sound enough to pull units together. I found another set of wing nuts which were bigger on outside and easier for me.
The small leak on floor would have been water trapped between two units. I think both the donut and the main bottom seal had failed.
I was really hoping to repair without taking off wall etc but in the end that was the only way.
I still prefer old toilets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back