Moisture boards, vertical or horizontal, adhesive or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to put moisture resistant board on a single wall in my bathroom. It's exactly 2.4m high and 2.4m wide. So should I put them vertically or horizontal? Opinion seems divided online, but in the US it seems they always go horizontal, but I dont know why!

Vertical would be easier so I can join them on a stud rather than put loads of noggins in. And I don't know how I'd lift one and position it on my own if it was horizontal! Just wanted to check here first

Also, do I need stud adhesive or can I just use screws? If I don't need glue, what spacing would you use for the screws

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if it’s 2.4 x 2.4 I dont see why you need to put noggins in. it’s the same.
personally i usually board horizontally like in the us. pack your first one off the floor with a bit of offcut making sure it’s level . screw it up and plonk the next one on top. there’s no adhesive if your screwing to vertical timbers.
screws every 6” .

if it’s 2.4 x 2.4 I dont see why you need to put noggins in. it’s the same.
personally i usually board horizontally like in the us. pack your first one off the floor with a bit of offcut making sure it’s level . screw it up and plonk the next one on top. there’s no adhesive if your screwing to vertical timbers.
screws every 6” .

Thanks, I was thinking because I only have vertical studs, that I would want the join long a stud. If I did it horizontally there would be gaps where the join was.

Is there a reason why many people say do its horizontally? I can't think of one

crossing the vertical timbers with the boards removes some of the felxibility that may be in your wall and skimming a joint that runs along a timber is more liable to crack along it’s whole length as opposed to a board join that crosses many timbers.
most properties i work in have ceilings around 2.4m . the width of the room is more often 3.5 4 0r 5m wide.when bonding boards its easier for me to span the width rather than the height , and easier to level and plumb horizontal boards with a straight edge.

Sponsored Links
if you pin them horizontally you wont need noggins where the gaps are providing the timbers are no more than 16” centres.

if you pin them horizontally you wont need noggins where the gaps are providing the timbers are no more than 16” centres.

Thanks this is all good advice. Ok so it's actually better for the join if it doesnt run along a stud. I would have thought the opposite but it masse sense. Ok if I think I can lift that second board up and get it in place alone I'll do that, provided the studs aren't too far apart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back