Mold behind a leaky shower in ensuite.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an issue of a leaky show and when the tiles have become loose I've removed them an noticed mold both on top and behind the plaster as the plasterboard used was not the mold resistant kind.

The next battens are quite far away so was wondering:

1, I will replace the plasterboard but can I insert another batten half way along?

2, if I'm tiling is it best to use the the tilebacker board or mold resistant drywall?

3, do I need to tank the area, if so how?

4, would it better for me to get someone in to do the whole job of replacing the plasterboard, tiling and refitting the tray and fitting the new cabinet?

Really have to say a big thanks to people that answer questions on here as its the first place I come to when I get stuck.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
If your replacing the lot then replace with backerboard - no need to tank.

if your just replacing a section replace with plasterboard then tank the whole lot. for a diy the easiest is the paint on tanking like this
http://www.tradepricetiles.co.uk/ad...g-waterproofing/shower-tight-tanking-kit.html

BTW - theres no such thing as mould resistant drywall, the MR is moisture resistant, and thats only for condensation etc. You still need to tank MR plasterboard

All those people who ask 'should i tank my shower area' who are looking to save £40 take note!! this is what happens.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Finally managed to get the rest of the tiles off of the wall.

I've uploaded a picture of the current mold. The plastic sheeted section is the external side and the other is the back of the bathroom wall.

One problem I have seen is that the external wall plaster board goes behind the timber in the corner but is also damp and moldy. The second problem is that the bathroom is tiled so they are attached to that bit of plasterboard.

My next plan is to clean the mold off of the poly sheet and get some anti mold spay for the back of the current plasterboard but not sure what is the best and will have to leave it open for a little while to dry out. Next to replace the plasterboard and then tank it before getting a tiler in to replace the tiles.

Is this OK for a plan and would a tiler be able to fit the cabinet as well or would they normally say to get a plumber in?

Thanks
Mark

Evening,

I've finally got back to finishing of my shower and I have a question about the tanking kit.

What do I do with the liner into the tray for the tanking kit. I was thinking that I would paint some of the primer on the tray and fix the liner to that, would that be OK?

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
yep your on the right lines. Fix your tray as normal and silicone it in with good quality silicone. Then tank down onto it bringing it over the join - use some of the jointing mesh too. the lip should come 5-10mm onto the tray.

then tile down over that and silicone the tile to the tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back