Monkey Bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I am looking to make some monkey bars for my daughter who is 11. I am going for a low key pair of monkey bars like the ones in picture 1, however I intend to use extra support as in picture 2.

I had 2 questions I'd like to ask:

1. I assume for attaching the vertical run to the horizontals I should use coach bolts/screws - which should I use?

2. The height of the horizontal run for the monkey bars I'd like to be around 2100mm, so will use 3000mm length, cut to 2800mm then put 700mm in the ground.......Or is 600mm enough?

It will just be my daughter and maybe the odd friend using it. No adult use.

Thks

MONKEYBARS.jpg

MONKEYBARS2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would use coach bolts (or more likely, stainless studding and with penny washers and nyloc nuts) as screws might loosen.

If you put wooden posts in the ground, they will rot and eventually break. Presumably in ten years or so your daughter will no longer be using it. I expect she will fall off sometimes so you might want a resilient surface below.

I'm not struck by the purple bars shown. I would have thought a large diameter tube tapped through holes in the horizontals would be better.

You might turn it into a gym and use it yourself, so it will need to be strong. Circuit training stations are often built along joggers tracks in German forests.

I would use coach bolts (or more likely, stainless studding and with penny washers and nyloc nuts) as screws might loosen.

If you put wooden posts in the ground, they will rot and eventually break. Presumably in ten years or so your daughter will no longer be using it. I expect she will fall off sometimes so you might want a resilient surface below.

I'm not struck by the purple bars shown. I would have thought a large diameter tube tapped through holes in the horizontals would be better.

You might turn it into a gym and use it yourself, so it will need to be strong. Circuit training stations are often built along joggers tracks in German forests.

Thks.

You think ordinary fence posts will do for the horizontal posts? Was going for 100x100.

Yes my daughter will grow out of them, but they'll be good for a few years and I did promise her.

I promised my daughter monkey bars but never got round to building them! They ended up with an H shape gym bar instead.
I was going to use metal conduit as the bars - You can fit 20mm ones inside the 25mm to make them stronger if you cant get hold of the purple bits shown above?

I should think 4 x 100x100 posts should be fine if they are concreted into the ground?

Sponsored Links
You think ordinary fence posts will do for the horizontal posts? Was going for 100x100.

you might consider the timbers sold for joists in decking. Pre-treated and I think they're about 150x50. Beam depth is more important than thickness.

You need to check her grip diameter. Choose the biggest she can grip as she will grow, but too big to start and she won't be able to hang on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back