Morning all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back to my gas/electric problem.

Is it ILLEGAL to throw and extension lead from my cupboard of a room to next door to supply about 1.1KW total ?

My chunt of a 'housemate' said his dad worked at the ' electricity board ' and you can't do it.

I know 2 phases are not friends, but this is just an extension from next door.

I am too drunk to read all of the regs.

Sorry, Dan.

Sponsored Links
Back to my gas/electric problem.

Is it ILLEGAL to throw and extension lead from my cupboard of a room to next door to supply about 1.1KW total ?

My chunt of a 'housemate' said his dad worked at the ' electricity board ' and you can't do it.

I know 2 phases are not friends, but this is just an extension from next door.

Is there just one single phase in the building, or more than one?

Sponsored Links
I was told only one phase per room, but we had a three phase concrete test block crusher to test the concrete we produced so looked for the regulation and failed to find it.

Back in I think 14th edition the wiring regulations was more like the guide to wiring regulations we get today, and had things like the distance from socket to sink which was too large for any one to fill the kettle while plugged in. However today we have waste disposal units which need the socket far closer and since under the sink rather than above it, the kettle still can't be plugged in and fitted, but most kettles as cordless so really is not longer matters.

If you bought every version of the regulations likely it would tell you when a regulations has been dropped, but I know 1966 the rules changed on lighting and you needed an earth, but to find the regulation is something else. (411.3.1) old 16th (471-08-08).

I hunted for a regulation and failed to find one. 530.3.4 talks about the 100 amp limit with an ordinary person i.e. the use of a consumer unit. But I completely failed to find any regulations which says only one phase per room.

Just a pc, tele and phone charger in this case, but thank you anyway.

I can't scream and shout C words about where I am just now, but an extension would work wonders.

Thank you Mr eric mark or both .

I hunted for a regulation and failed to find one. 530.3.4 talks about the 100 amp limit with an ordinary person i.e. the use of a consumer unit. But I completely failed to find any regulations which says only one phase per room.

I half remember something like it, but rather than room, a physical barrier of some sort, maybe a partition. Idea was two 13a extension leads would not normally be able to come close to each other, unless one was really daft.

I was told only one phase per room ..... I hunted for a regulation and failed to find one. 530.3.4 talks about the 100 amp limit with an ordinary person i.e. the use of a consumer unit. But I completely failed to find any regulations which says only one phase per room.
One hears such suggestions, as well as ones such as there being a minimum distance between sockets on different phases, but it doesn't really make much sense and I don't think I've seen any such regulations in at least the last couple of editions of BS7671.

As for 530.3.4, I think you must be looking at an old edition, since the current regulation with that number says:
530.3.4 Devices embodying more than one function, as defined in the following regulations, shall comply with the relevant requirements of this chapter appropriate to each separate function.
... which is clearly not relevant. Are you perhaps thinking of ..
536.4.201 Fault current (short-circuit) ratings
....... For an installation with a 230 V single-phase supply rated up to 100 A that is under the control of ordinary persons, switchgear and controlgear assemblies shall either comply with BS EN 61439-3 having a suitable fault current (short-circuit) rating for the maximum prospective fault current at the point of connection to the system or be a consumer unit incorporating components and protective devices specified by the manufacturer complying with
BS EN 61439-3, including the 16kA conditional short-circuit test described in Annex ZB of the standard.
??? If so, that is merely talking about what sort of DB is required IF there is a single-phase supply no more than 100A - it says nothing about >100A 'not being allowd'.

Kind Regards, John

I was told only one phase per room
For socket outlets, that was regulation 110 in the 13th edition, and A20 in the 14th edition.
Did not appear before or after those.

13th_110.png

14th_A20.png

a physical barrier of some sort
Barriers were required in a multi gang switch box containing more than one phase. 14th edition, A18

14th_A18.png

I think this has more to do with the 'earth' than the phase!

If you supply a load in your neighbors house from yours you'll also be exporting your earth into the equipotential zone formed by his bonding.

There is no guarantee that your 'earth' will be at the same potential above true earth as his 'earth' is. There is, therefore, a risk of a potential existing between two pieces of equipment or between a piece of equipment &, say, a radiator, that the bonding would have eliminated.

Consider a scenario were one house is PME & the other is TT. Now consider what might happen if the PME house powers a metal kettle in the TT house.......

Last edited:
I think this has more to do with the 'earth' than the phase! ... If you supply a load in your neighbors house from yours you'll also be exporting your earth into the equipotential zone formed by his bonding. ... There is no guarantee that your 'earth' will be at the same potential above true earth as his 'earth' is. There is, therefore, a risk of a potential existing between two pieces of equipment or between a piece of equipment &, say, a radiator, that the bonding would have eliminated.
All true.
Consider a scenario were one house is PME & the other is TT. Now consider what might happen if the PME house powers a metal kettle in the TT house.......
Again true, but not a lot different from a person with a TN-C-S supply using an extension lead to power items used in their own garden - again, 'the garden' may not be equipotential with the TN-C-S earth.

In reality, any risk is probably minimal.

What I'm not clear about is why the OP wants to use an extension lead from his house to power equipment 'next door', if that next door has a (TN-C-S or whatever) electricity supply.

Kind Regards, John

What I'm not clear about is why the OP wants to use an extension lead from his house to power equipment next door...

Years ago, a mate of mine who used to work for the LEB had to go round to houses and cut off the supply for non payment. I think he just removed the main fuse. Part of the job was to go back in the evening to make sure that they hadn't reconnected the supply. Often, a kindly neighbour had run an extension lead through to them so they could have some juice. He used to turn a blind eye to that especially if they had kids. Perhaps the OP is helping them out or they are helping the OP out?

We definitely didn't run a house from a convenient streetlight in the back lane for a few months a long long time ago in a city far far away under similar circs :)

I Can se emy neighbours using a streetlight on the corner of their house as the rate the leccy is going up.

Years ago, a mate of mine who used to work for the LEB had to go round to houses and cut off the supply for non payment. I think he just removed the main fuse. Part of the job was to go back in the evening to make sure that they hadn't reconnected the supply. Often, a kindly neighbour had run an extension lead through to them so they could have some juice. He used to turn a blind eye to that especially if they had kids. Perhaps the OP is helping them out or they are helping the OP out?
Who knows - hopefully the op will explain.

As for your mate, I don't really understand why he had to "turn a blind eye" to an extension lead from a neighbouring property since, assuming that the extension was providing metered (and paid for!) electricity, there's nothing wrong or illegal about that, and certainly seemingly not something that LEB would have needed to worry about. Am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back