Mortar colour

There could be a reason for the large beds, his brickwork looks neat and tidy,and it's not easy to bed up so much in 3 course.
Another possible reason, are the door thresholds level,he could of bedded up to keep both doors level, and why is there a dpc on top of external blockwork footing ?

Sponsored Links
There could be a reason for the large beds
Yeah, the bricks are bone dry and he can't get them down to the right gauge.

Looking at the pointing it's been ironed when the mortar was dry and it's not as smooth as it could be.

There could be a reason for the large beds, his brickwork looks neat and tidy,and it's not easy to bed up so much in 3 course.
Another possible reason, are the door thresholds level,he could of bedded up to keep both doors level, and why is there a dpc on top of external blockwork footing ?

The door thresholds will be level. I think the dpc is bituthene

Looking at the pointing it's been ironed when the mortar was dry and it's not as smooth as it could be.

Maybe raked pointing would look better with these bricks....

Sponsored Links

No way you would get 30mm above gauge in 3 course unless it was deliberate(well i woudn't) at that rate they will save about 8 course of brick.:)

No way you would get 30mm above gauge in 3 course unless it was deliberate(well i woudn't) at that rate they will save about 8 course of brick.:)
Amateurs would. The low down bricks have big joints because the bricklayer can't see them easily so just drop the bricks on a thick bed. Then as they get higher the joints are in the eye line so they see them and [hopefully] try harder. It's down to parallax, and the the same thing is occurring in the photos which are on an angle, not dead on.

Either way trying to match an existing gauge is not right if that leads to such large joints.

Amateurs would. The low down bricks have big joints because the bricklayer can't see them easily so just drop the bricks on a thick bed. Then as they get higher the joints are in the eye line so they see them and [hopefully] try harder. It's down to parallax, and the the same thing is occurring in the photos which are on an angle, not dead on.

Either way trying to match an existing gauge is not right if that leads to such large joints.
I've not said it's right,just trying to find out why they did it,best way to find out is to ask the brickie.

thumbnail_IMG_4839.jpg

Any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back