mortar

Sponsored Links
I've just worked this out to be about 1100! Surely that can't be right, seems mighty high to me, but I'm no builder and it is late! :D This assumes a wet mortar density of 2400kg/m3

I reckcon about 320 if on edge is [][][] or approx 700 laid end to end [ ][ ][ ]. Assuming all joints 15mm, and 1 tonne of mortar = 0.75cu m ;)

Sponsored Links
a tonne of mortar will easilly cope with between 1100 and 1500 standard, non hollow 100mm blocks.

trust me.

noseall said:
a tonne of mortar will easilly cope with between 1100 and 1500 standard, non hollow 100mm blocks.

trust me.

have thoruoghly read the original post and my own answer. my figures were worked out to a m3 of mortar and not a tonne. :oops:

if you were to mix up a tonne of sand with say 10 bags of cement then you are likely to lay in exess of 600 blocks. a cubic metre of mortar is double this amount.

doh.

There is no definite answer when quantifying by weight. Problem is that the weight of a cube of mortar varies depending on sand, density and water content. Also do you mean dry weight or wet weight?

Wet density of a cube is about 2 tons. About 0.6 of that is water which will evaporate off. So that makes a dry cube about 1.4 tons.

A cubic metre of mortar will (in theory) lay 845 blocks when laid flat. If you are talking wet density that means a ton will lay about 425 blocks.

I think the question is irrelevent, as who orders or supplies mortar by the ton or tonne anyway?

I would say about 100. As after this the rest of the ton of mortar has gone off :p

Sorry what I should of asked is roughly how many could I lay with a ton of sand,mixed at say 5-1.
And I dont mean lay them roughly :LOL:

I mis-read your original post. I thought it said laid flat.

A cube of mortar will lay 1500 blocks on edge. (or 845 laid flat) As I said, a cube of sand is about 1.4 metric tons. Add 20% cement makes it 1.68 mt. So a metric ton of sand plus cement will lay 1500/1.68 = 892 blocks.

I think if you said in practice about 700 to 750 blocks you wouldn't be far away. (PS. Probably best not to mix it up all in one go.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back