Morticing Attachment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering buying one of these.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cma1b-mortising-attachment/?source=criteo&TC=CR-060620023

Probably won't use it much at the moment but looking at when I retire in about 4 years time.
Anyone got any opinions on it? i.e. cheap for what it's expected to do, difficult to set accurately, load of rubbish etc.
Bear in mind I'm not out to make craftsmanship work, just simple things around the home/garden as a hobby in the future.

Sponsored Links
Yes mate. I've got a Titan pillar drill with a 700watt motor. Collar is 55mm but this has a reducer collar that should fit, if it's slack I can always get some thin sheet metal and make sleeves but the advert says it should fit ok.

I have one of these 'drill / press' machines and its good enough as a drill (using HSS jobber drills but not more than a 20mm wood flat bit) but useless as a press - there's just too much distortion.....after a while the chuck seemed to wander too but after all it was only around £40 :rolleyes:
For sure, the mortiser will work on small drillings but for anything more it will struggle - particularly on hardwood. Personally I'd go for the mortiser with a combined motor but it obviously depends on how much work you have for it and how much you want to spend.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John.
It would only be for light stuff, maybe a few wooden toys for the grandkids or possibly something for the garden. If I get the hang of using one then maybe I'll look at getting a dedicated unit as I get closer to retirement.
Thanks for your input.

It's probably OK for very occasional use in softwood. You will find it frustrating to cut more than the odd mortise. The table doesn't move either sideways to cut the length of the mortise or front to back to align the mortise easily or quickly.
To be honest you'll better off saving your money to buy even the cheapest mortising machine

i would spend your money on a decent twin pin marking gauge a mortise chisel:D

spade bit may work in the same press providing you have enough wood for the point to hold the bit on line when overlapping the cuts

Already got a guage and a full set of chisels, looking for a less arduous way. LOL
1/2in plunge router (for up to about 50mm deep cuts) or auger bits (which drill straighter than spade bits IMHO) in your drill press with overlapping holes then cleaned-out with a proper mortise chisel. FWIW what makes a mortiser really accurate and usable is the X-Y moving table - makes it so much easier to accurately cut mortises to most reasonable lengths as well as to "non-standard" widths (i.e. widths greater than any chisel set you have but narrower than the next size up you own)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back