Most reliable condensing boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can help me. We are about to replace our boiler with a condensing boiler and need some suggestions on a good brand. I am looking for a reliable boiler from a common brand (so parts shouldn't be too hard to find).

The one we currently have is a Baxi and is very old but has given good service over those years. I have heard that Baxi/Potterton are not as good quality these days, although is that still the same with the latest ranges?

The two brands that seem to be recommended to me are Worcester Bosch and Vaillant. Are the latest models still thought to be quite good?

Any help would be much appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
Most people have their own preferences. Often these are for commercial or convenience reasons rather than reliability.

What does your CORGI installer say?

If 10 people on here each state their own preference how does that help you?

I dont have any favourite but would be likely to chose from, Biasi, Vaillant and Viessmann ( in alphabetical order ) if reliability was an issue.

Of course a boiler which breaks down regularly but has a 10 year full guarantee might be better than a more reliable boiler with only a two year guaranty.

Tony

I agree with Tony. These type of questions usually result in a dust up on this forum. We all have our favourites, mine would be Vaillant, Viessmann, Buderus, Worcester, Broag, and Kidd. I've heard Atag are good, but we can't diversify too much or we will be jack of all master of none.

Baxi Potterton currently have financial troubles and the last decade has seen some flakey products.

Of course a boiler which breaks down regularly but has a 10 year full guarantee might be better than a more reliable boiler with only a two year guaranty.

Tony

My opinion is the longer the warranty, probably the less reliable the product.

With a long warranty all you are doing is paying up front for the cost of an extended warranty built into the product, then it becomes just a numbers game to the manufacturer.

Best example is the Baxi Duo-Tec/Platinum range. Identical boiler, platinum approx £300 dearer but with 5 year warranty :rolleyes:

Also the longer the warranty, the greater the amount of small print there is to try to get the manufacturer out of honouring it :eek:

Go for a good make with say a 2 year warranty as standard, but then use an installer who is able to offer a longer warranty on it from his negotiations with the manufacturer. That way you are not paying extra for the privilege, whilst the manufacturer is showing confidence in their product without charging extra and also confidence in that installer.

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks guys. I realise that these questions often result in positives/negatives for any choice made, but I just wanted to be sure there wasn't any glaring issues for those brands by the people in the know! :)

I forgot to add that the most important aspect of the reliability of an installation is the attention given by the installer to properly cleaning the system and using the correct chemical for each stage of the procedure rather than the brand of boiler chosen.

All top quality installers will only use one of the three leading brands. ( Well two really but I always like to be nice to Keith ).

xxxxx

I once went to do a repair in a block of flats with three boilers which had been installed at the same time. They were one of the cheapest boilers to buy and they were never serviced!

The first failed at six years with a PCB fault! Thats an MTBF of 18 years!

The second failed at seven years with a fan failed! That reduced the MTBF to 10.5 years!

The third boiler has never failed but I did service it at eight years and it was somewhat out of adjustment.

The MTBF has now risen to 13 years! In 1999 the boilers probably cost about £350 each.

Tony

The Keith I referred to above is Kamco Keith who would never be rude to me like your ex-ARGI Keith!

I would not be blowing him kisses though. Even in my dreams.

I had a dream this morning that I was doing a job for the Queen and she was lounging on her bed chatting with me about it.

Tony

Well, hopefully I am more like Kamco Keith. However much I may disagree with you sometimes and take the pee, I try not to drop to the depths of outright rudeness.

But as you so rightly note, our ex argi 'Keith' is a subject to be wary of, with a lack of basic manners and a somewhat problem with being 'economical with the truth' about what he knows and whom he has contact with :rolleyes:

Another quick question guys - what is the difference between a 'heating' boiler and a 'system' boiler? :confused:

Yes, back to the OP!

The advent of condensing boiler has led to the adoption of some new descriptions although they are somewhat arbitrary!

There are two basic boilers from the point of view of their application.

Combi boilers and heat only.

Boilers are either "standard" ( efficiency) or condensing!

All combi boiler are complete units with a pump, pressure gauge and expansion vessel ( apart from those very few which are suited for an Open Vented system.)

The cheapest is a basic heat only boiler with no pump, pressure gauge or expansion vessel. They are mostly suitable for sealed or open vented use.

Then there is a more expensive heat only boiler with most of the bits inside, pump, pressure gauge and expansion vessel, these are called "system boilers",

Does this answer your query?

Tony Glazier

Most people have their own preferences. Often these are for commercial or convenience reasons rather than reliability.

What does your CORGI installer say?

If 10 people on here each state their own preference how does that help you?

I dont have any favourite but would be likely to chose from, Biasi,

Tony

BIASI? It this a joke?

Surprisingly Biasi at present, have one of the lowest warranty failure rates in the industry.

The general consensus of best quality is:

Viessmann, Atag, Atmos, Buderus, Eco-Hometec (MAN).

The Buderus and Atmos are well priced.

Surprisingly Biasi at present, have one of the lowest warranty failure rates in the industry.

Its not that surprising if you follow the development of their boilers.

Unlike Vokera for example who have developed their recent models as units that look like nothing you have seen before, Biasi have kept to a similar general layout and evolved newer models from the well tried and tested predecessors.

The best example is their Band B which is based on their M90 standard efficiency with the addition of a stainless steel recouperator unlike almost all other makers who use alloy. Unlike premix burners they are very insensitive to gas supply deficiencies or not being set up quite perfectly. Ideal for the out of box, on wall and walk away brigade of fitters who have no skills!

They have the advantage that the boilers are made in Italy and they trial their new models there first so that by the time they come into the UK they are well tested.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back