Most secure type of fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to store my ladder on an outside wall so I`ve bought two lockable storage hooks that I can padlock the ladder to, but for security reasons I don't want to fix the brackets to the wall using ordinary s/s screws that can be easily unscrewed by an unwanted intruder or the like.
Any one got any ideas on more secure types of screw or wall bolt etc?

Grateful for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
You could always use normal screws but damage the heads once they're in

Sponsored Links
FYI I have a scaffolding board laid along the runners so that no one can climb the ladders whilst stuck to the wall, it is held in with the chain going through big holes top & bottom.

Thanks for all the tips.

I think I`ll go for normal screws and grind the heads down.

The largest clutch screw Screwfix sell is 10 x 1.5" which are not long enough for a solid fixing taking the weight of a ladder into account.

I cant find any larger clutch screws online either which in these days of most of us being more security conscious is a bit of a surprise.

Thanks again.

next post will be, how do I remove these screws to move this ladder rack lol

How about shear bolts or shear nuts?

Gaz

You could always use coach bolts right through the wall and put a big washer and nyloc nut on the inside. This way, it will be easy to replace the brackets after some toe rag has bent them all out of shape whilst trying to nick your ladders.

You could also fit a couple of big eye bolts and use some motorcycle "D" locks on the ladders. More fixings = more locks = more hassle to steal = more chance to keep them!! I can hacksaw through the average "hardened" padlock shackle in less than a minute...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back