MoT advisories.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
What is the position in the UK with MoT advisories?

Does whatever is listed as an advisory mean it must be repaired before the next test or if it is no worse - indeed better - the following year, might it be listed as an advisory again.

I have in mind a very small leakage of steering fluid which because of the time it had been leaking did look quite bad but since being cleaned it is now clear that it is a tiny leak.

Sponsored Links
Means SFA. Usually a C.Y.A. for the tester although a leak is quantifiable. The actual criteria for power steering is: "Power steering fluid leaks should only be rejected where a component, joint or seal has failed".

Fluid leaks are described as "You should fail a vehicle if a fluid leak creates a pool on the floor within 5 minutes that’s more than 75mm in diameter or if there are many leaks which collectively leak fluid at the same rate".

Last edited:
I've had the same advisory on brake pipes three years on the trot.
Then he goes on to say, "there's nothing wrong with them, I'm just telling you".
Telling me what, they are goosed but they are ok?
BTW I changed them a couple of months ago, just to keep him happy.

Sponsored Links
When I was running an Astra G, for three MOTs the tester advised "corrosion of rear silencer". Just before the fourth MOT, the bracket on the silence broke away, so I had the silencer (which was still gas-tight) replaced!

IMHO advisories are a farce.
If I was to put my car on say Gumtree, any potential buyer is going to ask me if I have had the advisories done. Am I to say, "there's nothing wrong with my brake pipes, the examiner was just telling me". People would look at me as if I was mad. But, I would have a list of so called faults listed on the internet for the world to see.

Last edited:
Orange indicator bulbs not orange enough - advisory 3 years in a row from the council place. They were fully booked on year 4 so local garage failed and charged me £10 to change 2 bulbs. Other times (as I've had the car for 9 years) I've had many advisorys "heal" themselves. My dad now "advises" his garage that they should advise him about the rust on his brake discs when they do the mot!

I had an advisory on brake discs last year, this year it is seriously corroded but still just an advisory. I shall change them before next years test.

Remember, an advisory is ONLY the opinion of the tester but even so, this is a bit harsh! :eek:

70208DCB-B487-4C6A-AF8D-3BBD61B787C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Remember, an advisory is ONLY the opinion of the tester
Ah, that's interesting.

I have always assumed (after all this time) that advisories related to things that would be a fail next year in the 'fault' was not rectified - like a tyre just above the limit.

Are you saying that advisories could be for things that are not just related to safety things that would fail an MoT?

Would an engine oil leak, (not my steering) for example, be reason for a fail?

Ah, that's interesting.

I have always assumed (after all this time) that advisories related to things that would be a fail next year in the 'fault' was not rectified - like a tyre just above the limit.

Are you saying that advisories could be for things that are not just related to safety things that would fail an MoT?

Would an engine oil leak, (not my steering) for example, be reason for a fail?

Yes, advisories could be for anything that the tester notices that would not fail a test but that he would like to bring to the vehicle presenters attention. Could even advise on say, engine oil getting low or a frayed fan belt. You can only test what you can see and you are not allowed to remove anything. One of the most common advisories I see, which I’ve never bothered with is "unable to carry out full inspection of brake pipes and steering system due to underbody covers being fitted" or words to that effect. I never bothered because should any of those items failed and led to an accident for example, there would be no comeback to me as it’s bleedin' obvious I can’t check those things under the rules. Another one is that you are not allowed to remove child seats to check seatbelts so again, an advisory would say "Unable to check operation of nearside rear seat belt due to child seat fitted". Some people remove rear seats if the seat belts aren’t working - you only need a belt for each seat. Again, the advisory would say "rear seats not present", seat belts not tested. Even lights. Disconnect, remove or cover them up and they can’t be tested. If they can’t be tested, they can’t be failed. The advisory would say that - some people refer to this as a "Daylight Mot" but that’s not technically correct. You can advise on anything really.

Yes, an engine oil leak could be a fail for environmental reasons as I have already said in #2 - "Fluid leaks are described as "You should fail a vehicle if a fluid leak creates a pool on the floor within 5 minutes that’s more than 75mm in diameter or if there are many leaks which collectively leak fluid at the same rate".

Last edited:
If you claimed to wash your screen by holding a spray bottle out of the window (if your screen washers didn't work), would that pass an mot?

If you claimed to wash your screen by holding a spray bottle out of the window (if your screen washers didn't work), would that pass an mot?
I don’t see why not. Then again, you could remove the screen which would mean that the screen and washers couldn’t be tested. If it can’t be tested, it can’t be failed. Pass and advise....

Requirements

Operate to give the driver a clear view of the road

Wipers and washers

The inspector will pay close attention to the operation position and function of your wind screen wipers and washers.

Washers will be required to work in order to pass the mot test. Even running out of water in your screen wash bottle is enough to cause an MOT failure.

Wiper blades must be in good condition and be of the correct size for the vehicle they are fitted to. They must provide the correct range of wipe to allow the driver to have an un-obscured view of the road ahead.

Common faults

• Torn wiper blades: will result in an MOT failure. This can be diagnosed by visually checking the condition of the blades. If any tears are discovered it will make sense to replace them before submitting your vehicle for it's MOT.
  • Blocked washer jets: Are grounds for an MOT failure Common reasons for blockages are washer bottle contamination and wax blockages. In most cases the jet can be cleared using a sewing needle. Take care when doing this to avoid injury.

MOT Advisories are proof the tester has done a thorough examination of the vehicle.

If it was sold soon after and the new owner kicked up a stink of say brake pipe condition, slight play in a bush or similar the Advisory is proof the tester as assessed it correctly and gave his opinion.

I would say the majority would like to know of potential future problems.

If you removed Advisories there would be far more failures imho.

Sponsored Links
Back