MOT legalities?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so my MOT runs out on sunday ( 21st march renewal date ) and it's failed the next one already so will be taken off the road.
does this mean I can still drive it on sunday or is saturday the last day?

Sponsored Links
No. It is now a failed MOT and as such cannot be driven on the road unless you are taking it to a pre arranged repair place, to a scrap dealers for scrapping or to a prior booked MOT retest.
And your insurance will be invalid also,
Sorry.

yes I know about the insurance..
isn't the old MOT still valid until it runs out though? otherwise you're getting more than 12 months MOT if you take it at the earliest.. up to a month before it's due..

It expired at midnight the day before mate, Sunday isn't the last day you can use the car if you know what I mean.

Sponsored Links
but if it was issued on the 22nd of march then surely it's valid until midnight on the 21st? that's the "valid until" day on the ticket..

It used to be possible to " get away" with driving using the remainder of time on an MOT cert. Even if you got a "producer" ...Now everything is linked to Swansea by computer :idea: . It`s straight home in a failed motor - or straight to the scrapper. It was even possible to swap the identity of a Classic car if one was a month or so over the 1973 cut off for free road tax . Now I would never condone doing that :eek:

it was straight home from the repairers I took it to for a quote, and hasn't been used since.. and likely never will again.. ( sob.. ).

it'd be a good buy for a junior mechanic who wants a project.. the engine is sound, it's just the cills and some welding to the rear, but a new second hand van is going to cost me £750, whereas the welding on the old one was coming in at £450.. so...

yes I know about the insurance..
isn't the old MOT still valid until it runs out though? otherwise you're getting more than 12 months MOT if you take it at the earliest.. up to a month before it's due..
By this do you mean if you had it MOT'd before the due date and it passed you would get more than 12 months?
In a sense yes but in reality you would get the new certificate to start from the expiry date of the current MOT which you would show to the garage so they could validate it and you would still be covered under the old MOT. If you couldn't prove when the current MOT runs out they would simply date your new one, (if it had passed), from the date of the test and you would have lost the remaining time on your old one.

Sponsored Links
Back