Motorbikes!

Always fancied the old (?) ducati 900 SS . They are going for silly money now.

was offered an MV agusta america way back , for £1500 . seen one advertised at auction at Bonhams with a reserve of £70,000 on it :eek:

:cry::cry: if only :)

Sponsored Links
I did a 1977? Triumph Trident a while back, full carb recondition (triple Amals) etc.

It was a real swine to set up but rode great when finished.

I did a 1977? Triumph Trident a while back, full carb recondition (triple Amals) etc.

It was a real swine to set up but rode great when finished.

I had a trident , the T160 , never really liked it tbh , used to spend more time messing with it then actually riding it , swapped it for a

Triton that had a pre-unit thunderbird engine (6T) and a wideline norton frame . The fella I swapped it with still has the trident. Its not useable needs some serious work doing to it .

Slightly off topic but , the big daddy of drum breaks ;) an double sided 8 LS front brake . Pretty certain designed by Dave Degens and a company called CMA to combat brake fade.

Saw this brake hanging up on a stand at the motor cycle show when it was at Earls court , paid £80 for it if I recall. Had it laced into a 19" rime and put iton a Triton I had.

went out about 4 times , tried to dial it in and ended up on my arze down the road with a bad case of gravel rash. Never bothered with it after that. considered it a brake from hell :)

some years later I found out that the brake shoe linings were AM4 (?) Green linings , def' not for high way use:oops: only for competion / road racing as they had to be warmed up gradually and the heat maintained , which would happen on circuit racing :oops:

still live and learn. Incidentally if you could actually track one of these brakes down , u would not see much change (if any) out of 2 grand :)

still got the brake as well :)

Sponsored Links
I've been repairing motorcycles for 22 years now and honestly thought I'd seen it all (good and bad) until today..

Begars belief and if it had come in for just and MOT it's unlikely to have been picked up as under sprocket cover and fairing..

20180315_150024.jpg

20180315_145937.jpg

Well, who needs a circlip when a jubilee clip will do? Nice to consider the chain going through your ankle like a chainsaw :eek:
John :)

It should have a sprocket retainer plate, £3 including the two bolts...

Had a KTM Duke in as well where the chain was that corroded it had snapped and cut the number plate, the rear footrest hanger saved his leg by the look of it!. £4000+ motorcycle and they can't even be bothered to lube the chain..

41C7io-oErL._SY355_.jpg

Retainer plate or circlip, I've never fully understood that the sprocket is always a 'rattly' fit on the output shaft splines......sort of offends the engineer in me!
Looks like the sprocket is hooked too - although that may be the photo angle.

Most of the bigger bikes have a proper nut (27mm/30mm) torqued down properly with a retaining washer and plenty of threadlock.

Much nicer idea as you say!.

i owned a couple of Harleys which are all belt drive to the rear wheel.

had a sportster 1200 SS bought it from new in 2003 , supposed to have been the best sportster they had produced ? found it pretty dire tbh & if that was the best one I would not have wanted to ride the worst one :)

traded it in for a Dyno ?? some thing or other 1500 cc it was better , but never really cottoned onto this Harley cult wat sit tbh

both were belt drive.

I'm not really into Harleys either tbh.

Did a load of work on this one, lowering/ big bars/ different wheels etc but it's more style over substance imho.

Some older Kawasakis had belt drives as well.

20171110_153102.jpg

I see that Vincent have set another new world record

A 1951 Vincent Black Lightening that broke the Australian land speed record , was sold at Bonhams in Las vegas for $929,000 or £652,414 & makes it the most valuable motor cycle ever sold at auction . The successful bidder was an Australian. The bike was running but un-restored.

auction commision and other fees would need to added to the above prices as well

Sounds a little like the film 'The Worlds Fastest Indian' I think it was called.
American bikes aren't my scene, neither is that 3 cylinder Triumph - around 2.2 litres maybe? I did however ride one and I was impressed, I have to admit.....but didn't put a deposit down!
Still wondering why Honda didn't update my favourite bike of all time - the Blackbird. Had 3 of them, R, W, and 03 plate. Superb bikes.

The worlds fastest Indian . Built and ridden by Bert Munro. set the world record at Bonneville salt flats afai recall ???

Vincent is a british bike . although

This is an Australian modern take on the Vincent that was at the festival of speed a couple years back 1600cc

u can order one ? think they are 200,000 Australian dollars . stunning bike imo any way

and the noise/sound ??? :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back