mould in corner of ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

There is mould appearing in the corner of bedroom ceiling, hygrometer says humidity around 70% and 'wet' , the wall is external and not well insulated. (v cold)

I'm a tenant, should I try and fix myself with mould spray etc. or get landlord to look at this? I think it might cause my allergies.

Thanks

Attachments

• mould.jpg
    mould.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
As a tenant you can reduce any moisture creating activities you do and ventilate as much as you can.

What is above this area?

As a tenant you can reduce any moisture creating activities you do and ventilate as much as you can.

What is above this area?

the roof is above, I'm on the top floor. I mean I do open the windows now and then, not sure what else can be done in bedroom.

Sponsored Links
Ventilation prevents mould, have my windows open all day unless it rains heavy, do you have fan extraction in the bathroom, must be used on every use.

is wet washing ever draped indoors?

you would do well to open the window every morning when you get up and throw back the bedcovers

and continue airing at least until you make the bed after breakfast.

If you can bear it, leave the window slightly open at night while you sleep.

And during the day if you are at home and it is not bitterly cold.

There could possibly be a cold spot forming on the ceiling. I have had a similar problem when some insulation was accidently dislodged in my loft.
Condensation occured on the cold bridge and mould formed.
The issue was resolved by resitting the insulation - making sure it ran over the top of the walls, and into the eaves, without blocking ventilation.

There is mould appearing in the corner of bedroom ceiling
Probably one of the most vulnerable spots for cold bridging in any house.

If you think about it, pitched roof tile finishes, at the point where they descend towards the eaves over bedrooms etc, are only inches away from your bedroom ceiling. This also happens to be where there is least protection from the cold due to missing insulation or gaps to allow for roof vents.

I'm surprised architects, designers, Building Control don't ensure that there is more robust and more compact insulation (Celotex, Ecotherm, Kingspan etc) at this point in a building.

What is above this area?
My friend has a couple of rental properties and has had them for years. She says the biggest problem with rental tenants is that they simply won’t open windows which gives rise to condensation and mould. Our bedroom and bathroom windows are permanently on vent.

Last edited:
We had a similar problem years ago including condensation on the inside of the windows.

Now keep the small windows at the top very slightly open and problem solved.

My friend has a couple of rental properties and has had them for years. She says the biggest problem with tenants is that they simply won’t open windows which gives rise to condensation and mould. Our bedroom and bathroom windows are permanently on vent.

If it's a particularly bad cold bridge then the temperature factor for mold can be reached even when inside is 50%RH. So it's not always tenants.

"Open the windows" is classic unhelpful numpty fobbing-off advice given to tenants.

Who the hell wants to "open the windows" when its mid winter, pouring with rain outside (100% RA) and next to the local main road or top floor of a high-rise? o_O

The correct advice is have a combination of suitable ventilation, heating used at a constant temperature if possible (not on-off cycles), where possible iinsulate cold surfaces, and check how moisture is being produced within the home and deal with excess moisture via mechanical extraction - ie bathrooms and kitchens. Along with this, to be generally mindful as to how moisture is produced and does travel around a home to settle on the coldest surface - so either closing doors or moving air constantly helps prevent condensation and mould build up.

Whilst mould from condensation is often deemed a tenant "lifestyle" issue, there are factors that can make it a structural issue and therefore a landlord responsibility.

"Open the windows" is classic unhelpful numpty fobbing-off advice given to tenants.

Who the hell wants to "open the windows" when its mid winter, pouring with rain outside (100% RA) and next to the local main road or top floor of a high-rise? o_O

The correct advice is have a combination of suitable ventilation, heating used at a constant temperature if possible (not on-off cycles), where possible iinsulate cold surfaces, and check how moisture is being produced within the home and deal with excess moisture via mechanical extraction - ie bathrooms and kitchens. Along with this, to be generally mindful as to how moisture is produced and does travel around a home to settle on the coldest surface - so either closing doors or moving air constantly helps prevent condensation and mould build up.

Whilst mould from condensation is often deemed a tenant "lifestyle" issue, there are factors that can make it a structural issue and therefore a landlord responsibility.

Or just crack the window a tiny bit and see if the simple solution works first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back