Mounting tv on false chimney breast, avoiding inset fire flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a false chimney breast (poor photos included as big TV is in the way), with an inset gas fire.

I've figured out the breast is dot and dab by knocking (so hopefully onto brick, which I will check with pilot hole).
I plan to mount using 6-8 Corefix wall fixings, the TV is 65" 24kg, so not too concerned about this.

My main concern is hitting chimney/gas flue.

There is no chimney (new build 2007 so never had one) so I don't think there is an actual cavity above the fire.
Where would the flue go? Would this go up vertically or backwards (onto my semi-detached neighbours identical fireplace/wall)?
If so how does it typically come out of the house?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_173832.jpg
    IMG_20220726_173832.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20220726_173844.jpg
    IMG_20220726_173844.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
I hate to ask but are you sure it's a gas fire? The reason I ask is that it looks like that's a false plastic coal effect insert on the front of it, or is it just the way the pics look?

I hate to ask but are you sure it's a gas fire? The reason I ask is that it looks like that's a false plastic coal effect insert on the front of it, or is it just the way the pics look?
It's a great question. I thought it was electric as well (it feels like an electric with buttons, no ignition mechanism). Certainly false plastic coal effect. RICS 2 survey also said false chimney with electric fire.

But then I found a gas certificate for the chimney/fire under the kitchen sink that mentions flues etc. I'll upload a picture of that when I get home, this was the only reason I considered a potential problem.

Looking at gas and electrical safety record no mention of gas fire... electrical report says:
Lounge - Electric Fire - BLUC-1 - Formal Visual Inspection

So now I'm really confused, what could the certificate correspond to. I'll have to take another look tonight.

Here's the certificate. I'm certain the fire is electric, but I guess doesn't mean there's no gas line?
IMG_20220727_200047.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is a flue/chimney certificate that confirms the flue type fitted and what fires it is suitable for. Doesn't mean that a gas fire was ever fitted though a gas supply could have been installed. That being said it's never good to have live runs of gas pipe that are redundant.

Is there a standard positioning for the flue, would it always be in the middle? My mount goes on the sides. Would I be able to detect it with a stud finder? How should I proceed? I'm pretty sure there's no gas supply as the fire is original from new build, will ask neighbours. Thanks :)

Aside from the physical challenges of mounting the TV to the false chimney have you considered the unsuitability of mounting a TV so high on the wall and above a heat source.

Aside from the physical challenges of mounting the TV to the false chimney have you considered the unsuitability of mounting a TV so high on the wall and above a heat source.
Yes, the angle is not that bad (deep lounge so 4 m away in couch). Think I calculated something like 10 degrees up. We don't really use the fireplace + it's blowing away from the fireplace and there's a mantel, I'll check the heat on the wall when fully on but TV is compatible with 40C.
Also non-conditional for missus :), if we hate it we can take it down.

Doubt a stud finder would see it as the flue is, in essence, a void, easiest way would be to take the fire out and you'll be able to see where the flue runs in relation to the wall surface.

reminds me of the cheap seats in our local picture house . Right @ the front, wooden and you had to crane your neck - t'was OK for the kiddies matinee though. That's when I was last there. A good family owned outfit though, now with 2 or more screens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back