Move and enlarge window in brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Just been thinking about room dimensions and where to put my new partition walls - and noticed that I kept saying "if only that window was 8" to the right"... so got talking about how easy that would be!

It's about an 80cm wide ground floor window with a relatively modern lintel above it (it's not the original for sure) thats tied into blockwork (breeze blocks).

We have recently exposed the lintel whilst replacing the plasterboard. Just wondering what type of job it might be - how pricey it might be etc.

Ideally - we would like to move the window 8" to one side - and make it 50cm wider.

Costs that I would imagine:
remove block and brickwork where I want new window to go (labour)
8" of blockwork and bricks on the side (lab + mat) - finished to existing standard
cost to prop structure whilst removing existing lintel (lab + hire)
cost of lintel (original length plus extra 50cm) - would I need detailed calcs or could the costs of over-engineering on the old lintel's specs by say 100% suit?
cost of new window and cost for fitting
making good with internal decs

Do you know if building control would need to get involved? I can't figure out if I would need planning permission either.

It sounds like I need to get some proper builders in - but wondered if anyone could offer any ball-park figures for cost, or give me an idea of how straight-forward a job it is (or isn't!)

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
You should have building regs for a new window if you are doing it yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back