Move wall plate to fit UB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to move the wall plate to the right(and up) so I can move the UB up?
The new UB etc would protrude 250mm into the rooms head height.
ubroof.png

Sponsored Links
As I see it the UB is at ceiling height in the flat roof area. Do you want to have more head room in the flat roof bit?. The UB is to support the main roof and must be under the wall plate, but if you want to move it , that's up to you, but the UB must sit over a pillar or a wall to take the roof weight.
Frank

The wall plate is about 50mm below the original ceiling height. So this plus the beams height would be below the ceiling the new roof roists would also be about 2.2m above floor level so I would like to a little more head room.

Could I renotch the cut rafters and add a new wall plate so the ub and the wall plate would sit above the original ceiling?

The principle is OK, but if you notch the rafters to accept the new wall plate, what is going to hold your roof up until the new wall plate and UB is installed. i.e. the roof should be unloaded first!!
Frank

Sponsored Links
What is the point of lifting the beam when it is level with the ceiling joists?

Because it's a bad diagram and does not really show what I am trying to achieve.
joists.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back