Fitting a UB.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
I'm taking down an internal brick wall and replacing with a UB. All permissions and calculations in place.
What's the method of packing under the ends to level the beam off at the right height?. I'm thinking of holding it up against the joists with a couple of acrows and building up under it with slices of paving slab or something similar. Can I use sheets of steel?. Should the UB be bedded in mortar?.
Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Just done a search and found most of the info.
My SE makes no mention of padstones just a 300mm bearing at each end. It's a 4m beam, 203x102, is there a standard padstone size for this?.

padstone sizing is done by the s.e. we tend to use cut to size builders lintels as these usually correspond with the existing brickwork.

a typical padstone would be at least 100mm past the steel each side and be three courses deep.

The beam should sit directly on the padstone, and if you have to bed it up, then it has to be a strong mix - minimum 2:1 I would say and a full bed.

But you would be better off bedding the padstone up - in which case you can use normal strength mortar

Sponsored Links
i personally find it easier to get the ub in place and all levelled up the cast a padstone in situ then it can't be wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back