Moving a gas pipe feeding a hob...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just changed from a single to a double under counter oven, (both electric) and the gas pipe feeding the hob needs moving so the oven can be pushed fully in...

I am waiting on a friend to get back to me re a gas registered plumber to quote for the job but wanted to ask a few questions here first so I am a bit more knowledgeable before I speak to him..

1) The easiest solution to my untrained eye would be to fit a semi flexible hose, but I believe jobs are supposed to be connected with rigid pipe only?

2) The run of pipe that needs moving is only 600mm run but it also contains the 1/4 turn isolator..Are there any regs as to how far this isolator can be from the connection point on the hob? At present it's about 300mm away but ideally I could do with it say 600mm. This would still leave it visible/accessable if somebody took the oven out to access the underside of the hob for instance.

3) Finally a couple of safely questions...The gas pipe emerges from the wall and has this short 600mm that needs moving. Ideally I could do with the isolator putting where the pipe emerges but the pipes at that point are soldered.

Can gas pipe that's been in use be soldered or will he need to use compression fittings? As cuts need to be made on the gas mains side of the hob isolator, the only other isolation point I know of is the main one at the gas meter...

I am not looking for DIY instructions here, but want to be able to gauge the competence of the guy coming out to give me a quote...while I am sure being gas registered counts for a lot, I would still like to have a handle on what we are discussing...

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Sponsored Links
but I believe jobs are supposed to be connected with rigid pipe only?

Some can some can't, the manufacturer's instructions will describe what is allowed.

Are there any regs as to how far this isolator can be from the connection point on the hob?

No, as long as it isolates the hob and is accessible.

Can gas pipe that's been in use be soldered

Yes.

Thanks for that, it's much appreciated!

How in the heck do you solder pipe that's had gas in it? Do they flush the pipe with an inert gas first?

As an aside, many years ago when I was a lad, my father arranged for a plumber to install a new gas fire. After doing the install I always remember him checking the joints for leaks with a lighted match! I still remember my mother's reaction to, and that was priceless in its own right

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks..The hob was in the house when we moved in about 6 years ago and we were never left any instructions and I can't see any model number .. It is a stainless steel 4 burner Bosch, with the controls to the side...Knowing the previous owners it would have been a bottom end model...

Should have posted this earlier, but this the beastie concerned.

As you can see from the markings on the wall I need to lift the pipe about 15mm -20mm to get clearance!
40B99ADB-7DC4-4AE3-A688-8E336CE807D1.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back