Moving a load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to make our hallway a bit wider which would mean removing a load bearing wall and rebuilding a new one about 1ft from the original position. Wall is about 6ft long

Can this be done?

Sponsored Links
Mmmm, I'm no expert, they will be along shortly hopefully, a steel will be required to support what's above...now for a 6ft x 1ft gain, depending on how much this would cost, you might not get a lot of bang for your buck...and of course can this be raised high enough so it's above the line of your current ceiling, otherwise you might get a funny boxed in bit depending on where the supporting walls are at either end for the new lintel.

Good luck.

Thanks

I guess I assumed the new brick wall would support the ceiling as the old one did. Just a foot away from where it was.

We want to remove one wall but build a new one like for like 1 foot away from where it originally stood.

Thanks

I guess I assumed the new brick wall would support the ceiling as the old one did. Just a foot away from where it was.

We want to remove one wall but build a new one like for like 1 foot away from where it originally stood.
If the existing wall is structurally supporting i.e. carrying joists etc, then this wall will have a foundation beneath as would your new wall, unless you fit a steel beam in place of the existing wall.

If you adequately support whatever is being held up by the wall you wish to remove, then any new walls can be built from stud partitioning.

Sponsored Links
No definitive answer without knowing what's above and what's below.

anything is possible but to what extent you are willing to go is another matter.

Hi and thanks

Its a bungalow with dormer roof on front and original roof on the back so above the wall in question is roof space.

The wall could be supporting ceiling/roof joists. The ceiling joists may have been cut to length so sit on the wall in question. Simply moving the wall would not be an option without steel being put in place to support whatever is above the 'supporting' wall.

What is the existing wall built on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back