Moving a Magnolia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and a good growing new year to all.
I have a Magnolia in the middle of a lawn directly in the path of budding foolball superstars. I have thought of moving the kids but social services said no. So I must move the Magnolia. I need to do it before the football pitch and tennis court become playable again so any tips please for moving it over the next couple of weeks (when the rain stops for more than 30 minutes).

Mondo

Sponsored Links
It is possible to move a magnolia - I managed it with a 1 year old specimen - but you have to be careful and try to make sure you get as much of the rootball as possible (with surrounding soil). This helps prevent the magnolia from subsequently wiliting or losing leaves when it is in its new position and re-establishing itself. Make sure the new hole is well watered too.

Best time of year to do it is supposed to be Autumn but most of all it is best to do it when there has been a lot of wet weather so your timing may be spot on.

If it is over 3 or 4 years old then your chances of success will drop... unfortunately there is no guarantee of success because soil conditions, weather, plant condition etc. etc. all have an effect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for Shenks.
The tree is prob 5-6 years old but its move or loose, so I will give it a go.
Mondo

Prune it well first.

This will give you less to handle when you lift it

And you will be trying to balance the size of the water-losing parts (leaves) with the size of the water-gaining parts (roots) that you will damage during the lift.

Sponsored Links
plenty of water before and after you move it, plenty of compost in the hole. nature has a way of overcoming things, good luck

Magnolias don't usually like pruning. Also be careful of pruning during winter as you may leave it prone to disease and dieback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back