moving a picture light and adding another one to it

jso

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a picture light about a metre from its present location on an old lath and plaster wall. Unfortunately the room has just been decorated. The existing wiring seems to be running loose in the wall, but I can't guarantee it will reach the new location. Would it be OK to extend the existing by adding new cable to the choc blocks used to connect the existing fitting to the cable (or, presumably better, use a junction box that could be similarly hidden in the wall) and then hook the newly extended cable to the new location via a hole drilled for the purpose? The aim is to avoid breaking up the newly decorated wall.

Could I then add a second picture light by wiring from the relocated existing one?

Sponsored Links
No, junction boxes etc need to be accessable for inspection and testing, also there wouldn't be any indication that the cable is there anymore so it won't be in a safe zone.
Is there access from above? Can you fish a cable directly down to it?

I agree. You cannot do what you hope and keep the wiring in safe zones.

In any case, there will be a vertical support each 12" - 14"" so there's no horizontal route without scrogging the wall.

Mostly, lath & plaster walls only have vertical supports (the lath providing the horizontal support) There may be some cross braces by they may not be full depth.

The best way would be to drill from above into the wall cavity and see if you can probe down to the wall light position. Then pull up the existing light wiring and drop it down into the cavity.

You may be lucky. Frankly, the best time to do this is before you redecorate!

Sponsored Links
I agree. You cannot do what you hope and keep the wiring in safe zones.

In any case, there will be a vertical support each 12" - 14"" so there's no horizontal route without scrogging the wall.

Mostly, lath & plaster walls only have vertical supports (the lath providing the horizontal support) There may be some cross braces by they may not be full depth.

The best way would be to drill from above into the wall cavity and see if you can probe down to the wall light position. Then pull up the existing light wiring and drop it down into the cavity.

You may be lucky. Frankly, the best time to do this is before you redecorate!

Last point first: you're absolutley right! The job has developed organically.....But what I didn't say before is that I'm also installing a picture rail (having only redecorated up to that part of the wall) so I'm hoping that I can indeed drill some exploratory holes to find the cable and hook it across. Any holes I thus make will be covered by the picture rail.

Admittedly, the vertical supports will be more of a problem. I'd forgotten they'd be so frequently spaced.

But supposing I can locate the cable and move it across (since it seems it is hanging loose in the cavity, and might not be vertical as it is ie already not in safe zones), and find that it isn't quite long enough, how could I extend it? Crimping?

I'm beginning to think that I might be better off lifting a few floorboards in the room above, and doing all the work from there!

Thanks for the comments/advice so far.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back