moving a steel

M

marsaday

I would like to know how difficult it will be to move a channel beam.

It will be 8.5m in length and weigh just under 200kgs.

How many men will be needed to get this into the loft?

ideally i would like to pass it up through the hallway into the loft hatch. The hall is big enough to be passed through, but i have no idea about the weight involved. Is this really heavy and so maneuverability is low?

i know how heavy 200kg is in the gym and so i am thinking i will need 3 men minimum.

Alternatively, I am making a window in the gable end in the loft and so we could pass the beam through here. What would we use in this situation? a crane ?

Sponsored Links
8.5m through the loft hatch? Not gonna happen, no way.

Through the window with a crane sounds sensible.

3 men minimum yes, they'd better be fit strong lads though.

What sort of crane would be used? is it one of those huge things?

what about a power platform? the opening is right under the driveway and so the platform tower could just roll up and then up we go?

What sort of cost are we looking at to crane or platform a steel in?

What sort of crane would be used? is it one of those huge things?

what about a power platform? the opening is right under the driveway and so the platform tower could just roll up and then up we go?

What sort of cost are we looking at to crane or platform a steel in?

Getting it up is the easy bit
:D
It's the getting it in that's tricky :oops:

You don't really want one end of the beam through the window and resting temporarily on the ceiling joists (or the plasterboard between the joists :eek: )

Get the yellow pages out and get on the blower. The HSS website is a good source of info.

Hard hats and booties go without saying.

Sponsored Links
right i have a price for crane hire = £300.

i will look into seeing if i can get a platform to do the job as well.

i will need to temporary board out the loft with the 22mm boards i am going to buy. this will prevent me from stepping through the ceiling.

Get a few more prices, this is one lift and the access is easy.
Would be cheaper to get the beam cut and plated.

there are 2 channel beams. We are bolting to the joist which is part of the roof structure (part of the king beam triangle).

the engineer wants to do it in one piece. i will speak to him on fri as he is coming again.

platform hire is out.

yes access is easy, off road and then into a window made in the gable end (window will not be installed until steel gone in).

Are these 2 channels sandwiching the same section of timber?

Cut a third off of the end of one, then cut a third of the other end of the other one. That way they can be bolted back to back and the joins will be staggered at the least critical point. Get your engi to advise on plate to reinforce these cut areas, probably looking at max 10mm thick and M16 bolts. (You might not need any extra at all)

You will then only have about a 5-6 metre length to get up there and will weight about 60 odd kg less.

Get the plates made up, drill the channels on site (unless they are still to be delivered in which case get supplier to do it all)

Thanks Deluks i will mention this idea to him.

if the bigger pieces weigh about 140kg, would these be do'able through the loft hatch and so doing away with a crane?

it would be 5.6m long and could be moved through the hallway and up the stairs no probs as they are very lofty and spacey - i have had my 4.2m ladders up into the loft before you see.

it's just the weight i am not sure about. until i feel it i have no idea if i could maneuver it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back