Moving an external door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I want to move an external door fitted as shown in fig 1 to the new location shown in fig 2, thus increasing the size of my hallway.

It seems to me that shifting the door allows an outside wall to come inside the house. Should I be installing a damp proof barrier through the brick wall behind the new door frame?

Any comments from you builders out there are gratefully received.

Gaz

Sponsored Links
For the amount of prolonged driving rain that you will be receiving in Sussex i would not worry too much about vertical dpc.

Just make sure the frame is well sealed to the brickwork.

A storm canopy would help also. ;)

It will definitely cause a cold spot up the jambs where the [cold] outer bricks becomes a cold inner wall - with potential for mould and condensation up the plaster.

If you do this, try and insert some insulation up the wall before plastering - 5-10mm if possible. We've used some of the foil faced foam used behind radiator panels previously - that's quite thin, and then plaster board.

If you fix some wide DPC or thick polythene for 300mm or so (ie the distance of the outer wall which will become the inner wall, then this will act as a DPC as moisture would not normally travel this far in, and will save cutting in a vertical DPC. If you use silver foil insulation as above, then this will be a DPC as well

Also, avoid fixing a timber frame flush with the wall - set it back 30mm or so to give it more weather protection

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back