Moving Boiler's Power Socket: Part P or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the moment my combi boiler is in the spare bedroom upstairs. A plumber's coming on Monday to fit a new one in the old outdoor toilet (which is now a cupboard in the conservatory).

I need to get the power moved from the old location to the new location and I'm planning on doing it like this:
* Disconnect the existing switch and use a junction box under the floorboards to attach a new piece of cable.
* Run the cable under the floorboards, through the ceiling into the dining room below and through the wall into the cupboard.
* Fit a new switch in the cupboard.

From what I understand, this doesn't count as being major enough to fall under part P. Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
pointdexter said:
Hi,

At the moment my combi boiler is in the spare bedroom upstairs. A plumber's coming on Monday to fit a new one in the old outdoor toilet (which is now a cupboard in the conservatory).

I need to get the power moved from the old location to the new location and I'm planning on doing it like this:
* Disconnect the existing switch and use a junction box under the floorboards to attach a new piece of cable.
* Run the cable under the floorboards, through the ceiling into the dining room below and through the wall into the cupboard.
* Fit a new switch in the cupboard.

From what I understand, this doesn't count as being major enough to fall under part P. Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks

what you say is OK (except below) and AFAIK wont come under part P

only problem is point 1 - JB's need to be accessable. either: crimp it or join it via terminal block in existing outlet and put a blank plate over

pointdexter said:
Hi,

Surely as the cupboard is really an original part of the house it isn't really part of the conservatory, it just has a door onto it, in the same way as the dinning room does. Therefore as long as the cable doesn't run through the conservatory - no Part P? (don't you love how things are left open to interpretation!?)

Sponsored Links
Chris4564 said:
Surely as the cupboard is really an original part of the house it isn't really part of the conservatory, it just has a door onto it, in the same way as the dinning room does. Therefore as long as the cable doesn't run through the conservatory - no Part P? (don't you love how things are left open to interpretation!?)
Yes, sorry for not making that clearer. The cupboard/outside toilet is an original part of the house and makes up one wall of the (relatively recent) conservatory. The cable will be going through the dining room wall straight into the cupboard and not through the conservatory.

Thanks for all your responses :D

pdcelec said:
If you are employing a plumber, why not employ an electrician?
I hired a plumber because I don't know the first thing about plumbing. If Part P had applied I would have hired an electrician too but as it is I think I'm capable of doing the work myself :)

If you hear anything on the news next week about a Bristol man found electrocuted in his spare bedroom then you'll know I was wrong ;)

pointdexter said:
I hired a plumber because I don't know the first thing about plumbing. If Part P had applied I would have hired an electrician too but as it is I think I'm capable of doing the work myself :)

So why ask on here then?

pdcelec said:
pointdexter said:

So why ask on here then?
Here is a prime example of why I find getting help on this Forum is like pulling teeth:

Original question was to determine whether the work he was proposing to do fell under Part P. He wasn't asking whether he was capable of doing the work.

And here we have an answer from a long-standing forum member suggesting his question shouldn't be asked on this Forum. :(

This forum and many other the residents on here visit are becoming very similar in which if a DIYer asks a question like the thread owners question, there is always someone to cause a fuss.

I only read/search for answers here now for if you ask a question then you are immediately known as a DIYer and then told or asked "Should you be doing this?"

There are numerous forums across the net now where if someone even thinks about posting a reply with "Should you be doing this?" apart from whether it really needs to be implied then they will get banned suspended.

Also the forums do occupy many pro electricians who encourage DIYers to do there electrical work if they are capable and they also don't like people who go on about Part P as they see no reason why one should get an electrician in to do work just because there is Part P.

If it saves you money by doing it yourself, do it yourself as long as you are capable.

Just my response so don't go flaming me!

Silver_Hawk said:
I think I'm capable of doing the work myself :)

Silver_Hawk said:
And here we have an answer from a long-standing forum member suggesting his question shouldn't be asked on this Forum. :(

I think that you have misunderstood my reply. All I was saying was that if a person is capable of doing the job and knows how to do it, why are they asking?. By asking, suggests that the knowledge is not there. This forum is for people to ask questions about things that they do not know about and to find the relevant information from the people that can help.

I was only asking if it fell foul of Part P, not how to do it (although I appreciate the advice about the junction box). I know that I'm capable of doing the job but I didn't want to if it meant I was breaking any regulations.

Hope that clears things up!

There is a question that you need to answer.

Is the conservatory a physical part of the house that is tied into the structure, or is it the other type that is not part of the structure of the building and although in physical contact is not a physical part of the house.

This is an important point. If it is of the first type and part fo the house, then it must have required planning position, and in this case Part P can be ignored as this would simply be an alteration to an existing circuit.

However, if the conservatory is of the second type and never had planning permission, then Part P is a concern, the conservatory is legally an outbuilding and thus outside the electrical installation of the main house, further, in order to comply with BS7671:2004 any circuit installed into this structure must be protected by a suitably rated 30mA RCBO or RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back