Moving Fuse board help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a fuse board about 2 metres.Can anyone tell me..

1.How do i extend circuit cables and comply with the regs?(ie:can i use chocboxes? or do i crimp or use joint boxes)

2.Can i use old cable (colours) to extend as the installation is in old colours!

3.Am i responsible for whole installation afterwards!

4.Do i need to inform electric if i move the meter also!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to have to tell you that you are definitely not ready to be let loose on the public or your friend, never mind ready for an assessment.

maxkd said:
1.How do i extend circuit cables and comply with the regs?(ie:can i use chocboxes? or do i crimp or use joint boxes)
In your other post you claimed to be a spark.

2.Can i use old cable (colours) to extend as the installation is in old colours!
Any electrician should know that the cable colours changed three years ago. What do you think?

Are you modifying every circuit? (The answer is 'yes you are'.)

Who owns the meter? Do you think they'd let you break their seals and move their property?

You knowledge is inadequate for the task you propose.

I Have to say this is a great idea for a website,but reading through other question and answers it seems to me that this website is dominated by a few smug know it alls(or at least pretend to) if it carries on like this no one will ask any questions and you will have to be sarcastic to each other.I have been a spark for some time,however i have been working on commercial 3 phase electrics/inverters/rectifiers which is totally different and i havent touched domestic electrics for 10 years.I just thought i would catch up with the latest ever changing regs.As in life people who want to be better than they actually are get great pleasure in trying to make others look bad.I do hope the arrogant idiots find another website to go to and keep this site for genuine helpful people who can actually give good advice and help each other!

Sponsored Links
maxkd, I am a keen DIYer,I find this site more than a great idea but great in practice. I have an electronic but not electrical background, and have found this site most useful in learning about electrics, its not my job though if it was I’d buy a copy of the 16th edition read it and go on a course like the other sparks.

I have at times been wrong and been put right on here, and never thought the people putting me right were ‘arrogant idiots’.

You need to realize when you post something that is what you will be judged on, reread your questions and you will see they are written the same as if my wife (for example as someone who knows nothing about electronics) was writing. They don’t appear to be a last double check for someone who is a bit rusty, maybe that’s not a true reflection, but if my wife had written it Im sure (/I hope) you would be pointing at her pitfalls to make her question her competency and consider not touching the job for her and everyone elses safety.

maxkd said:
a few smug know it alls

You mean people who realise when someone is over-reaching themselves and does not yet posses the knowledge to tackle the job they describe and who are trying to prevent that someone from injuring or killing themselves?

I have been a spark for some time.

Commercial or not, the principles of extending cables are the same. If you went to college, you would have learned these regardless of the area you now work in.

I just thought i would catch up with the latest ever changing regs.

Something you can't do here. Get your 2381 and 2391. You should have these anyway, as a commercial spark.

As in life people who want to be better than they actually are get great pleasure in trying to make others look bad.I do hope the arrogant idiots find another website to go to and keep this site for genuine helpful people who can actually give good advice and help each other!

I hope the others don't mind when I say that we derive no pleasure from telling people that they are in over their heads on a job. It would, however give us great pleasure to learn that someone in this position has-

a: either equipped themselves with the necessary knowledge or qualifications before they tackle a task or

b: been saved from injury or worse because of our advice, and had the job done by someone who is.

maxkd said:
I need to move a fuse board about 2 metres.Can anyone tell me..

1. Use through crimps & heatshrink or jb's (remember jb's need to be accessible)

2.No use harmonised & stick correct label on cu stating two colours used.

3.Yes

4. You cant move the meter (unless its a sub meter I suppose) thats for the dno to do, ask for an isolator while at it.

I thought the same as others here, your questions did seem beginer like but on reflection well we all need a helping hand at some point (and I felt sorry for you because you've had quite a bit of abuse on various forums over these questions

I am A keeen do it their person, but I would not have this to try her their restrictions!

I'll try to think of something.

I'm not very good at taking an eventing horse over a cross-country course, will that do?

Leck mich doch! :LOL:

It's not beyond mine, but the standards of testing required are now very high, and need expensive equipment. So it's not a practicable DIY job, even if you have the knowledge and skills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back