Moving hot water cylinder to loft. Should I upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting our hot water storage cylinder moved into the loft to create space in the bathroom. Eventually we will also be adding a pump to provide higher pressure showers.

My question is, would you recommend that I ditch the current tank, which is, 36" x 18", and swap it for a larger one? Is 42" x 18" the next standard size up from this? The house is a 3-bed 30s semi.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Older cylinders can take 40 mins to reheat from cold, new ones do it in 20 and some even do it in 15 mins.
So if you have a house hold that is going to take several showers one after another then it may be advisable to change it..A pumped shower can use as much water if not more than a bath.

Cylinder will cost you just over 200 quid from plumbcentre for a fast recovery centrecyl 1050 by 450 comes with all the fittings including immersion

Agree with namsag. I always use the centercyl from Plumbs.

Make sure that your hw storage tank is going to be higher than the top of the cylinder though. Preferably 1M.

Agree with namsag. I always use the centercyl from Plumbs.

Make sure that your hw storage tank is going to be higher than the top of the cylinder though. Preferably 1M.

The cylinder is the hw storage tank Dave. Know what you mean though :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes the builder is in the process of raising the cold water tank onto a platform, below which the cylinder will go.

At the moment the HW is heated by a boiler and stored in the cylinder. I'm guessing the heating times will therefore be unaffected, and it will just be the convenience of having a bigger store of HW?

Builder says room will be tight in the loft for a bigger cylinder, so it's very much a bonus, if we can fit a larger one in there.

Make sure the cold feed to the cylinder is in 28 mm tube!

Tony

how much does it cost to move a cylinder - roughly? i am thinking of moving ours out of our bathroom and either down a floor into the laundry room or up into the loft does it cost a fortune? how long would it take?

Would usually take the best part of a day and cost about £240.

If its not a foam blue or green colour then I would refuse to remove it as its stupid to spend so much moving an old cylinder.

There are some odd shaped cylinders which are wider than the standard if height is a problem. Or a special can be made.

I would never let a builder do a skilled plumbing job!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back