Moving house etiquette/obligations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're Selling our old house. We've already moved out. We've removed all the stuff from the walls (pictures and shelves) leaving screw holes and screws in the wall. Is this acceptable? Or should I take them all out and poly filler it? I have paint to patch it up for most rooms too. Should I go the whole hog?

Sponsored Links
There's probably clean paint/wall paper behind the pictures too. Are you going to rectify the clean/dirty bit? There's probably yellowed paint, are you going to fix that?

No to both, and no to removing the hooks! It is the new owner's "problem", though they might prefer the hooks to stay up. Different matter if you're renting and the lease says don't put up pictures...

Nozzle

I think that there is expectation that pictures that will obviously be taken, but I'm not so sure about the shelves.

I don't think there is any expectation that holes will be filled and redecoration carried out, unless it is laid down in the conditions of sale.

As fixtures and fittings, they may be expected to be left behind, but it would depend on what was agreed in the house sale and what is laid down in the paperwork.

Certainly, items like gas fires and electrical fittings should not be removed, unless it has been agreed that (for example) an expensive gas fire or chandelier will be removed and cheaper items fitted in their place.

Check your paperwork and/or talk to to your solicitor.

Sponsored Links
And if OP is renting, who would know whether he had taken them with him?

The next person to enter the house and see walls full of holes and stuff missing. Normally, the landlord or their agent.

Well I lost all the holes I took with me instead of leaving them. Perhaps some replacements could be purchased on E Bay.:D

I think Tony was being facetious and referring to the holes, as in "how would they know if they'd taken the holes with them?"
Leastways, that is how I read it.
Edit: Aah, I see you have explained it. :oops:

The purchase may ask via his solicitor to do jobs etc, if you are not willing you could lose the sale.
I was asked to remove a central ceiling fan & replace the lights, I said there are alternative lights & that was accepted.

Second word of the post was "selling!" I included three wall shelves in the fixtures form as they won't go in the new house but everything else can go. My concern was they move in and get annoyed by all the holes from shelves and pictures. But by that point I guess I'll be free of any obligation as the house is sold.

The only obligation in the paperwork I've seen is that we move out in a manner that causes as little damage to decor as possible. We've done that. Even with the 8ft wardrobes and doors. No mention is made of fixings into walls.

So I'm going to go in and clean the place top to bottom. Carpets, mouldy walls and windows. Kitchen and bathroom. Can't believe how mucky the place is. I will fill the holes left by the stair gate though. They won't need a stair gate at their age ;)

Sponsored Links
Back