Moving House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know where to put this mods feel free etc.
A friend has just moved house today, I know about light fittings etc which they took but the loft ladder?
Is that part of stuff you can take.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
it's theirs and if it wasn't mentioned in the sales deed then they can take it..
that's why you have to make sure they specify carpets and curtains and any fixtures and fittings..

they have to leave the house servicable so if they take any fancy light fittings they have to put something back up even if it's only a standard pendant etc..

Thanks for that it was mentioned in the inventry,I just wondered as it was part of the structure if it was not a perminent thing.

sound like a set of tight arse barturds to me, FFS taking a loft ladder.
But I can't see why they couldn't, unless it was past of the fixtures and fittings etc....

Sponsored Links
I have always taken the front door lock with me and fitted it in my new house :eek:

sound like a set of tight a**e barturds to me, FFS taking a loft ladder.
But I can't see why they couldn't, unless it was past of the fixtures and fittings etc....

If it is going to fit their new loft, I see no reason not to take, they paid for it and would have to pay for a 2nd one if they left it.

Let the new owners decide if they want one fitted at their expense.

Besides, I get a bit of work in properties newly purchased where the previous owner has taken all the decent stuff. :LOL:

I was moving out of a council house and into a flat after separating with the ex wife. In the council house, we had fitted our own kitchen (with permission off the council). About a week before I was moving there was a knock at the front door. There was this youngish girl and her father there. They explained that the council had said she could have the tenancy and could they have a look round?
I showed them round and her father commented on the fitted kitchen. He said If I left it he'd give me a couple of hundred quid, so I agreed. He met me on the day I was moving out and gave me the cash.
A couple of weeks later he's knocking on my flat door asking where the kitchen was. (Council were told the kitchen was staying).
Turned out one of the workmen sent to check the house had removed the kitchen and put it in his own house. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for that it was mentioned in the inventry,I just wondered as it was part of the structure if it was not a perminent thing.
You say inventory - is your friend renting then rather than bought the house?
If they've bought it, what exactly do you mean by inventory? Do you mean the Fixtures & Fittings form?

A loft ladder is fixed so cannot be taken. Just like the bath and the kitchen cupboards.

A loft ladder is fixed so cannot be taken. Just like the bath and the kitchen cupboards.

The loft ladder, bath and kitchen cupboards can be removed before the house is sold.

You say inventory - is your friend renting then rather than bought the house?
If they've bought it, what exactly do you mean by inventory? Do you mean the Fixtures & Fittings form?

I dont know the modern termilogoly as I haven't moved in 25 years,and yes she has bought the house.

You have to check the toilet to see if there's any 'movement' in it. :LOL:

Your friend's Solicitor will have a copy of a standard form called "Fixtures Fittings and Contents" - he should have given him a copy. This is a comprehensive list of most items in a property and has three columns: Included in the sale; excluded from the sale; none at the property.

Under light fittings it says: "if these are removed, it is assumed that they will be replaced by ceiling rose, flex, bulb holder and bulb."

Loft ladders are not shown on the standard list but there is a space to add extra items. I would have thought that the vendor was under a duty to list the loft ladder and say if it was included in or excluded from the sale.

Did the Estate Agent's particulars mention the loft ladder? If it did, it should have been left.

Your friends should speak to his Solicitor - loft ladders are not cheap.

Sponsored Links
Back