Moving lampost cost and planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a lampost smack bang in the middle of our drive, we want to get the lampost moved and a dropped kerb put in.

Trying to get an idea of cost before putting an application, has anyone had to get this done before and if so what did it cost you?

Lampost needs moving atleast 3-4 meters and we need the same length of dropped kerb put in.

Council just ignore all of my emails, I only want a rough idea of cost before submitting an application but no replies.
Thanks
Michael

Sponsored Links
I wouldve thought it best to speak to a licenced contractor who can do crossover / dropped kerbs -they used to cost about £1k but thats quite a few years ago

this article gives an indicative cost of moving a street lamp 3 to 4 metres at £5,500 to £6,500

Sponsored Links
We have a lampost smack bang in the middle of our drive, we want to get the lampost moved and a dropped kerb put in.

Trying to get an idea of cost before putting an application, has anyone had to get this done before and if so what did it cost you?

Lampost needs moving atleast 3-4 meters and we need the same length of dropped kerb put in.

Council just ignore all of my emails, I only want a rough idea of cost before submitting an application but no replies.
Thanks
Michael
As said, it's a Highways issue.

At 17, I had a very bad car accident that ended up with two doors and the B pillar being ripped off the car and me coming out of the screen and ending up on the bonnet when I hit a lamppost also in the middle of what eventually turned into someone’s drive. When my dad went round to make good the damage I had caused to someone’s front wall, the bloke who had the lamppost removed was just pleased that I was okay and said he'd been trying to get the lamppost moved for years and the council wasn’t having any of it!

My dad once hooked his block and tackle to a lamppost to try and pull a tree out in the garden. I'm sure you can imagine - he was stood there pulling that chain like crazy but the tree wasn't moving, he looked behind and the post was at nearly 45°.

I reversed into a lamp post on my first driving lesson, also managed to run over a stoat which ran out in front of the car, I braked and missed it, but then having safely reached the other side of the road it decided to turn back and went under the wheels. Funny what you remember.

Blup

I have a driveway and dropped kerb already and so does the neighbour. Our driveways are side by side without any gap. Built with driveways in the 1930s. Then there is a streetlamp planted bang in the middle of the two drives inline with the side boundary between the two properties. A real pain. People reverse into it when turning on the road, visitors to neighbours hit it, we have to watch out for it very closely especially at night or in rain when it can be difficult to spot it when in your blind spot (when reversing). If we have a large delivery van or when we had skip delivered - it is in the way and makes access a chore sometimes.

However, despite the council having replaced it about 3 times over the last 10 years, when ever I go near anyone asking how much it would cost to move it, there is a deep intake of breath... and then, I give up on the idea for another couple of years...

Having said that, our local council does have a section on their website for the dropped kerb application, I think after you pay for a application, they will get contractors to estimate the cost and give you one or more quote. Have you checked the self service areas of you local or county council website?

Edit: Actually just looking it is definitely the county council with highways responsibility for us as well (as other posters mentioned). I.e. Surrey CC.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back