New Drive, choice of material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Newbie here, so firstly apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section (I moderate a car forum so know how annoying it can be).

Purchased a house 3 months, ago and after doing extensive renovation inside, it's now time to move to the outside.
We currently have a single driveway which is simply 2 rows of council slab with block paving inbetween.

I plan on building a second driveway alongside, and using the same method (mostly).
However, I would prefer not to use council slabs are they are cheap and nasty. Looking at various advice online, and I can't find any alternative slabs that would be suitable (they all say to use standard council slabs as they are only type that can take the weight of a car).
I find this hard to believe, and someone somewhere must sell some semi-decorative slabs that are up to the task.

Anyone any ideas on what to use or where to get them? I'd prefer not to pay an arm and a leg as it's already costing £750 to get the council to move a lampost 3m, and then another £1200 to get them to drop the curb.

Cheers

Al

Sponsored Links
I use these for patio's but they reckon you can drive a car on them as long as the base is prepared properly,

http://www.stone-traders.co.uk/?kw=...19&network=s&gclid=CLrPraCD6LECFVMdtAodRjUAFA

It is natural stone and thickness varies considerably, i use a screed type sand and cement to lay them on, the company is based in London and to date i have had no problems with delivery and their prices are not to bad but google natural stone and check out the other sites.

heeelllooo and welcome Dringo :D :D :D
as an aside
remember rainwater must discharge onto your land not the public sewers or highway

Sponsored Links
Presumably you've got your planning permision sorted. You wouldn't want the council man coming and making you take it up.

I find http://www.castacrete.co.uk/ a good soarse for concrete pavers and tumbled concrete sets, i'm in the process of doing one now, just be sure to seal the finished product with a sealer, i'm going to use Thomsons for a wet look. nb. there are very different sealants for concrete and natural stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back