moving security alarm keypad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy that installed the security alarm in my house (for the previous owner) put the keypad in a stupid place in the hall, so I want to move it to a more accessible spot just inside the front door. There's a panic button in the same place that I'd want to move too.

Running the cable for this is straightforward, and I have plenty of it, so I can do that bit myself.

Question is, can I move the keypad myself or should I just get a pro in to do it? I don't have an engineer code (despite lots of hunting online!). System is a Microtech Galaxy 8, keypad is a Galaxy Mk7 LCD. Central control box is reasonably accessible in the airing cupboard, upstairs. It's a 10-year-old installation, and not a monitored system.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
problem with a galaxy it may be set up so that an engineer is required to clear a tamper fault.

have you ever opened the lid of anything on your alarm before? if so what happened?

if you were able to clear it then yes you can move your keypad, it has 4 wires, the pa should only have 2 as a galaxy has shunt and end of line resistors (1K)

Thanks breezer

I've had the lid off a couple of PIRs - tampering with them triggered the keypad; entering the user code cleared it. Taking the lid off the panic button triggers a full alarm, but again this can be cancelled with the user code.

I'll make a start on moving it then ...

just note which colour goes where on the keypad. it clips in at the bottom.

not being there is it almost as easy to run a new keypad cable?

Sponsored Links
I guess in theory I could just install an extra keypad - but the problem with the existing keypad installation is that it's damn ugly as well as impractical (in the middle of a wall, too far from the front door) - so I'd prefer to tidy it up as well as make it easier to get to ...

I think Breezer meant rather than extending the cable, replacing it.

Oh, I see :oops:

Anyway, job's done. Looks much better than before; all works fine; wife duly impressed.

Thanks again for the advice. :LOL:

What is it with alarms?

Ones that are bundled with a service I could maybe understand, but if I buy a product, it is then mine - by what right do the manufacturers keep secret the codes I need to do with my property whatever the **** I like?

you miss understand, its not the manufacturer that keeps the code "secret" its the installing co, for reasons i have already said

My mate activates a service timer on the ADE gear he installs. If the HH does not pay up, the system packs up at a later date.....

breezer said:
you miss understand, its not the manufacturer that keeps the code "secret" its the installing co, for reasons i have already said
Well - apologies if I missed what you've said, but the same applies.

I buy something.

I pay someone to install it.

IT IS MINE.

And once the guarantee has expired, I have every right to do whatever I like to it. In fact, I have the right to do that on Day 1, but there may, understandably, be restrictions on what I can do without voiding the guarantee.

My mate told me about this one, ( he works for a big alarm co.)

some one has an alarm they pay for it, installation etc when the customer no longer wants it, they (alarm co) take it away, much to the digust of the people who paid for it.
here it comes.

my mate has to say sorry, read the small print of the contract, the money you paid was for installation of the equipment, the money you pay every month is rental for it and the monitoring service, so the kit is not yours, although you thought it was.

The bright side is that if the kit goes wrong, it is changed FOC (becasue its rented) however if the kit goes obsolete that becomes chargable.

so the moral is: read the small print and because you have handed over money does not mean to say its YOURS

I would also say its like transco.

where i used to live we had no gas, (previous people never had it put in) so we had to pay for it and meter etc to be installed, but when we left the place, i wasnt expecting to take the gas meter and pipe with me because i paid for it to be installed

Equally just because something is in a contract doesn't nessacerally make it enforceable in court.

has the alarm co ever taken a householder to court over this and if so did they win,

btw whats the name of this alarm co so we know to avoid using them.

plugwash said:
has the alarm co ever taken a householder to court over this and if so did they win,

over the years, several times and yes they always win.

I will not name them its not fair, and besides its up to the person who signs ther contract to read it first, but like i said its like transco, although i paid for installation of gas meter / supply, i did not expect to take it with me when i left

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back