Moving switch to other side of door

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
So we're having insulated plasterboard Installed and were rehanging a door so the switch would be behind the door. Would it be best for me to chisel out a channel and feed the existing wires back up into the attic and then drop down into some conduit in the plasterboard to new switch position ?

Sponsored Links
So turns out they didn't use conduit the place the cable along the door frame and in attic have basically squeezed a block against the cable so its impossible to pull it up

Sponsored Links
So essentially id attached this to the cables for the switch and then I can out the wireless switch on the other side of the door

You don't want a wireless switch unless there is no alternative.

If you have a loft, extending the cable or replacing the cable should be quite easy.

You don't want a wireless switch unless there is no alternative.

If you have a loft, extending the cable or replacing the cable should be quite easy.
Refreshing to see someone else saying this.(y)

I know of a developement of about 200 houses where every single light is controlled by Quinetics, utter chaos.

Why would any developer go totally wireless for 200+ houses?
Where is this and who is the developer?

Why would any developer go totally wireless for 200+ houses?
Where is this and who is the developer?
Supposed to be a selling point, all part of the automation and they included a hideous remote control which was basically a set of the switch modules in a grid plate, they also included wireless doorbells with only 16 channels so another fail.

EDIT this is a mixed development near Maidstone, I suspect the land was sold off in parcels and they joined forces, I believe the names on the big hoarding that used to be there included Bovis and Persimmon [but I didn't pass it very often], some of the paperwork I've had sight of I think showed Taylor but not TaylorWimpy.

Last edited:
Cheers for the update. This seems to be a developer solving a problem which doesn't exist. I've fitted a few of these when it's not been practical to install cabling. Never been asked to fit them on new build. Hope the buyers don't have any duff products and get hit with the cost of replacing any switches or receivers. Not being an expert in wireless, is there interference between properties? I've fitted them outdoors and wondered about the signal distance.

Cheers for the update. This seems to be a developer solving a problem which doesn't exist. I've fitted a few of these when it's not been practical to install cabling. Never been asked to fit them on new build. Hope the buyers don't have any duff products and get hit with the cost of replacing any switches or receivers. Not being an expert in wireless, is there interference between properties? I've fitted them outdoors and wondered about the signal distance.
The problems are chaotic, apparently the lights suddenly go on/off seemingly at random. I've assisted with adding proper controls in several houses for one of the companys I work for however they have done a fair bit of snagging, repairs and alterations on behalf of the developers. Apparently there are something like 6000 switch modules in the developement. But the big killer is the doorbells with only 16 selectable channels with a stated range of 50m or say 10 houses in each direction and on both side of the roads makes 40 and the roads in front and behind only say 20-30m away suddenly puts each bell in range of getting on for 100 properties or 6 other buttons.

Oh and let's not forget some of the kitchens having 32A appliance radials using 2.5mm² [just like my daughters new build some 10 years ago]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back