Mower tick over screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Champion R484 new carb fitted.
At what point does the lever touch the back of the tick over screw.
Throttle lever on tortoise setting and am I expecting as it warms up the lever on the carb will move towards the tick over screw ?

May present revs a little high & lever is at leat 10mm away from the back of this tick over screw ?

Attachments

• C1822F46-8168-433C-B3F5-A38A2DC51078.jpeg
    C1822F46-8168-433C-B3F5-A38A2DC51078.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
With the engine running, the tickover is set with the carb lever touching the screw with the throttle cable correctly adjusted.
With the engine off, the lever may not touch the screw because the governor system thinks the engine is running too slow.....which of course it is, because its stopped!
John :)

I understand that but I’ve never seen it touch the screw.
Actually after day 5 minutes of the engine running so it should be warmed up by now the lever is still R least 1/4 inch away

The engine temperature isn't relevant here. The normal technique with this (so long as the engine is ticking over slowly) is to turn the screw until it just touches the carb lever.
This helps to keep the tickover stable.

Sponsored Links
I underside how the tick over works but what I am saying is the lever isn’t even touching the screw. Even with the screw turned all the way in the lever still isn’t going to touch the screw.
I mentioned temp as I wondered if something was warming up which meant the the lever / spring etc would gradually ease off and the screw was there to stop it from cutting it.
So after engine running say 5 minutes it still doesn’t touch the screw. I can even take the screw out as it would make any difference at all.

Maybe someone has adjusted linkages, even the governor or whatever - who knows? Maybe the carb isn't original, or whatever.
You could always fit a longer screw!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back