Set up information for carb / throttle cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted another engine in my petrol mower.
Just need some advice please for the throttle cable to carb set up.
I have the mower running but the revs are contact. In that I mean when I move the throttle lever to the slow position or even the other way to the choke the revs don’t alter this staying the same.
So my carb has the float bowl. The air filter is the foam rectangle shape say 6 x 4.
Behind the air filter box is the cable connection.
The inner wire which has a hook on the end passes through a hole in the lever.
The outer cable is clamped in place by a bracket / Phillips screw clamping plate.
So at present the outer cable has about 1 inch showing after the clamping plate.

Now my issue is do I need to make the outer less of a distance or more of a distance past the clamping plate.

I can cut grass fine with the static revs but I have no control of being able to increase or decrease the revs.

Sponsored Links
If I understand you right. Not enough movement of inner cable in effect?

Make the outer cable shorter from clamp plate to lever so you have more inner cable movement

Glad you managed to get an engine.
Are you positive the carb off the doner engine isn't set to run at working revs by default, in which case the carb linkages not the cable could need fiddling with

when I looked & started it I was able to operate the throttle lever & the revs would go up & down like you should.

I put his engine in my mower but changed his bits for mine this carb etc.

So I put the cable in the clamp & did the screw up. I am able to start the mower & I hear it running at let’s say 3000 rpm.
I operate the lever to tortoise & then to hare, now I’m expect the rpm to go down to 800 rpm the up to say 5000 rpm BUT it stays at 3000 rpm regardless of throttle movement.

So it’s down to where the inner cable connects engine side. It’s position of the lever and cable position where it’s clamped.

Sponsored Links
I attach a photo of what I’m referring to.
Red arrow carb lever.
Green arrow cable clamp.
Blue arrow shows length of outer cable.

So revs are the same regardless of where the throttle lever is.

Does the carb lever need to be in a certain place ?

To allow me control of revs using throttle lever does the length of outer cable need to be longer or shorter ?

9975554F-481C-4E42-AD5F-BD49D0A79E8E.jpeg

Normally, to increase the revs, the inner cable needs to be pulled, or be shorted - that would mean the outer longer to increase revs.

So what’s the process please for this to be done in respect of carb lever & throttle control lever.

Ok
Just wanted a reply from this member so I understand the process two different ways.

Thanks.

Dont get too hung up on matching the control lever on the handle to the fast and slow symbol when you swap engines if thats your issue. If you disconnect the inner cable from the carb, then if you operate the lever it came off, do you get full control of the revs?

Raining here so can’t do anything.
My issue is slow or fast or choke the revs do not alter.

I can’t try any of the above due to weather.

Yes.

Put lever on choke to start.
Then moved lever to fast revs say 8000 rpm.
Then down to slow & revs say 2000 rpm.
So I had control.

Now moving lever on my mower revs the same regardless of lever position hence correct set up needed.

So just to be clear, your throttle lever at one end if travel is stop position and the other end is choke or is stop operated by the dead man bar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back