Cutting mower throttle cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mowers throttle cable snapped a week ago etc but I had one that I fitted to get me by.
It’s to long this the loop as shown in the photo.
I need to cut it so I can let the mower do it’s job when I’m using self propel as it’s feels like I’m pushing it, I mean it should be easier that what I’m experiencing.

So my question is.
If I note where the carb lever is it present and cut the same amount of cable from the inner cable & outer cable & refit will I be then where I am now but without this loop ?

I’m looking for more revs so when self propel is engaged it then starts to move forward.

Attachments

• 150D3C5E-06C7-4AF0-9888-D0012A5C0360.jpeg
    150D3C5E-06C7-4AF0-9888-D0012A5C0360.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Single strand throttle cables are high tensile - and therefore very difficult to cut.
Bowden cables need to be tinned to prevent fraying.....I guess yours is the former.
You can get by with some side cutting pliers if they are in good nick, failing that slice the cable with an angle grinder and slitting disc.
The same applies to the outside - you don't want to crush the sheath!
Any shaped ends of the inner cable can be bent and formed in a vice, or with pliers - but snapping is possible.
Why not buy the correct cable, and keep that as a spare?
John :)

Cable won’t be here in time & I need to use it.

So me cutting as asked is correct ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back