Multiple Security Lights / Multiple Motion Sensors

I suggested this early doors but with 24v instead- another advantage is you can reconfigure what does what at the panel rather than trudging round JBs. But given the OP has suitable multicore kicking around it'll do the job
No, effectively each sensor and light is brought back to the panel and any changes will be done by altering the relay contact wiring in the panel.

Sponsored Links
No, effectively each sensor and light is brought back to the panel and any changes will be done by altering the relay contact wiring in the panel.
Yeah thats what I was suggesting - T & E to each sensor & light, bellwire to each sensor for the LV control circuit & diode matrix and relays in the box :)

When you create your panel, have a row of terminals for the external wiring - allowing some spare terminals for perm L, N & E (make it easy to split the wiring among multiple cables) For one thing, it will allow you to do the fiddly internal wiring on the bench, and it separates the internal wiring (which you might modify if you change the sensor-light mapping) from the distribution wiring which you generally don't need to modify.
As to Wagos, use the smallest that will do the job. Where a wire goes through a box without a tap-off, use a two way; where there's a tap-off use a three way. You'll be using the lever type anyway with stranded cable, and these are easy to remove and replace with a different connector if you need an additional connection at some point in the future.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier ...
AC relays are prone to hum. Years ago I used some relays to give me multi-way switching with a "wander lead" so I could switch the room lights on/off from bed without having the switch location fixed - simple 2 pole relay, wired as intermediate switch in the light circuit, simple on-off switch on the end of a lead. In practice they were unusable because of the 'orrible 'hum even when I unscrewed the relay bases and had them supported only by the wiring. I never did get round to dealing with that, I was planning to swap for DC relays with a rectifier & smoothing cap. These were larg(ish) octal plug in relays, the modern small factor plug-in relays tend to be a lot quieter - but not silent.
It's an inherent characteristic of any relay or solenoid powered by AC - 100 times a second the magnetic field reduces and reverses, and for most designs, this can create mechanical vibration. There are some mitigation techniques, such as having a shaded pole on part of the magnetic circuit to create an out of phase flux, but in general the only way to completely eliminate it is to use DC.
Using DC would have allowed the use of a matrix pin board with diode pins - instant re-mapping of sensors to lamps. Unfortunately I can't find anything to show the thing I mean in amongst the gazzilion results for LED matrixes, switch matrixes, prototyping matrixes, ...

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone for all of their help on this topic.
I'm planning to get to work fitting the lights and motion sensors and first fixing all cables back to where the panel will be.
Not sure when I will get round to actually fitting the panel but undoubtedly I'll be revisiting this thread when I do to ensure I take on board all of info that's been provided.
Thanks! (y)(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back