Mum Leaving Plusnet

i think a deal has been done , but the competition auth has stopped
  • Current Owner: YouFibre is owned by Substantial Group (Netomnia).
  • The Buyer: Virgin Media O2's parent companies (Telefónica and Liberty Global) agreed to buy it for £2 billion.
  • Current Status: The deal is blocked. On 2 October 2026, the UK watchdog (CMA) provisionally stopped the buyout because merging YouFibre into O2's network reduces customer choice and risks driving up broadband prices. A final decision is due by 15 December 2026.
 
Well, after a real circus, we've got the phone working. But YF CS stinks.

It isn't easy to get in touch with them if you're a technophobe. Or nearly 90. Or both.

Ma isn't good with emails and texts and her old Plusnet email service has been transferred to Greenby and for some reason, emails come in, but message sending fails, with error messages popping up.

So I set up access to Ma's email on my phone and with her permission, started talking on the app to try and sort it out. I chatted with Lauren who asked if the phone was plugged securely into the back of the router. I replied that the phone wasn't plugged into the back of the router, but into a wall socket. She said she would arrange an engineer visit and offered a date far in the future, but Ma wanted something a lot sooner. At this point, I lost contact with Lauren on the app, so I asked Mum to ring and try and get an appointment. It took forever to get through to someone, then, despite knowing that Lauren had already decided to book an engineer visit, they insisted on getting her to check the router's lights etc...

Mum asked them to book a visit, but they were more interested in checking the router.

My sister was round, so Mum passed her the phone. She politely explained Mum was vulnerable, on medication and needed to be able to contact, and be contacted by, the doctors.

The person cut her off!

Mum rang and told me, so I rang them.

Twice I got through and twice I started to explain the situation. Twice I got cut off!

By now, this was becoming a farce. So we changed tack and I put in an engineer visit request via the YF app.

Soon I had a reply on Mum's email. It was from an engineer that said he had tested the line and that it was OK, but if there were any issues to let him know. So I fired off a reply, confident we had finally cracked it but an error message came back!

I rang Ma and advised her to take her iPhone and iPad round to her neighbour and she helped Mum write an email replying to the one I did that failed. That failed too...

Eventually, her neighbour sent an email to the general YF email address from her own email address.

Today, a friend of my sister's suggested plugging the phone into the back of the router.

Lo and behold, the phone worked.

When I visit Ma again, I will look more closely at the ONT and the socket arrangement. Having looked at YF's range of ONTs, it would appear none of them are enabled for that, unlike the first gen of Openreach ONTs.

But what I can't understand is that, with the phone plugged into the wrong socket, it still had a dialling tone, and would allow a number to be dialled but not completed.

I think the YF installer has to bear most of the blame here.

He did not advise plugging the phone into the back of the router after installation of the new service and he didn't let Mum know she needed to connect her mobile and tablet to the WiFi.

All in all a shambles.

Anyway, Mum got a call off the back of the email her neighbour sent and Mum told him how difficult it was to get help and how the engineer failed to do his job properly.

She was promised some free credits which, as she would say, is better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish.

But all in all a poor show and a bad introduction to a company you've just joined.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top