Music - Is the original always the best...

B

Big Tone

Just been listening to the absolutely brilliant rendition of Joe Cocker's 'With a little help from my friends'.

If that is not soooo very much better than the original, (and I speak as a lover of Beatles music), I don't know what is?

Beat that... ? :D

Sponsored Links
Yes. Ever since I saw the Mad Dogs tour movie I reckon so.

'All along the watchtower' by Hendrix is the definitive version too.

Wild Horses by Subo? Hardly. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok Joe, and good start :) (I thought you hated me or I was on some ignore list or something).

Ummmm.... I love both 'I drove all night' and still think no one does it quite like Roy. But hec - a wonderful came from the great Canadian or what!!!!

Doesn't have to be the best to be thoroughly enjoyable.

Johnny Winter's covers of Jumpin Jack Flash and Stray Cat Blues are belters but the Stones still do it better.

Also The Cult do a crackin cover of Born to be Wild. :)

Sponsored Links
Spot on Big Tone. I've always said that was the best version of the Beatles song anyone has ever done. Much better than the original. ;)

Cheers Jock :D

Never really felt like I've got friends on this forum. So maybe this could be a non-hate/nasty thread.....

Not really big at all

Tone. :)

I don't think I know that one..

The flip side of this subject is songs which should never try to be bettered.

The one which quickly springs to mind is 'Only you' by Alison Moyet which was murdered by The Flying Pickets. (Showing my age a bit). :D

Heaven by Bryan Adams.....good song...

but DJ Sammy did a brilliant cover.....especially the candlelight mix :D

Melanie "Ruby Tuesday" better than the Stones.

No one can cover Freddie Mercury's songs so that debate will never happen.

Wicked Game by HIM, much better than the Chris Isaak version

Not imo.
Rock bands should stick to er well.. rock.
Can't agree wiv ya there Norco. Journey rocks but Steve Perry did a wonderful ballad 'open arms'. And then there's Queen. Love of my life verses Sheer Heart Attack. And then there's one of the greatest uncredited rock voices of all time, imho, Noddy. Consider We'll bring the house down and Every Day.

Nope, Luv ya mate but ya got that one wrong... ;)

Come on someone; agree with me despite your hatred of me. :D
Add. Just saw your last post. Could not agree more... :)

They trashed Isaaks version with heavy metal. Not a good idea.

Agree with Joe Cocker version.
Melanie did a great Ruby Tuesday closely followed by Rod Stewarts version.
Queen, no one can cover them but George Michael does a very creditable try. Paul Rogers just didn't do it for me at all.
Must disagree about the Flying Pickets, I quite like their version as well as Alison Moyets.

Sponsored Links
Back