Musings on the futility of Life, the Universe, and the term "Low Voltage"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that the IEC does have a definition of Extra Low Voltage which agrees with what we have been saying 'for ever'.

It can hardly be argued that Extra Low Voltage does not now exist because it is deemed part of Low Voltage.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Don't forget that the IEC does have a definition of Extra Low Voltage which agrees with what we have been saying 'for ever'.
It does have such a definition, but it only agrees with part of "what we have been saying 'for ever' ". What we have been saying almost invariably copmes in two parts - firstly, we say "12V is not LV", and then we go on to say "it should be ELV". We now know (and did as least as far back as November!) that the first of those is not correct in terms of IEC definitions.
It can hardly be argued that Extra Low Voltage does not now exist because it is deemed part of Low Voltage.
Indeed, but I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise. In any event, as you agree, the term ELV is not particularly useful in relation to things like lights etc. - since it theoretically can mean 12V, 24V, 48V or whatever. As far as BS7671 is concerned, I suppose it's geatest value is as part opf the definition of SELV and FELV, about which there are lots of regs.

Kind Regards, John

OOops sorry Efli, I was still on page 4 when I replied to john
Oh, so it wasn't about my ladder, then?! Sorry for the confusion!

Many people don't like quotes, but it does help to avoid the need to guess was a post is talking about!

Kind Regards, John

Oh, so it wasn't about my ladder, then?! Sorry for the confusion!

Many people don't like quotes, but it does help to avoid the need to guess was a post is talking about!

Kind Regards, John
It was too you john, Elfi post would have appeared on page 5 so I hadnt seen it as I was still parked on page 4, I posted and thought it would be after yours.

It may be that 'we' do know - almost certainly - what a poster means when using the term Low Voltage.

However, the latest question was -

"but i'm a bit worried how they can be safe if not low voltage [,] can these be left outside for good "

Can you answer that without explaining what low voltage is?
Yes, and I did so with a Socratic question:

Hi, my son bought string lights for outside ,on the box it says indoor & outdoor use ,
but i'm a bit worried how they can be safe if not low voltage can these be left outside for good
What voltage do you think street lights run at?

Easy. As they are over 1000v don't even consider putting them outside or anywhere near your property.
I have not seen many lights over 1000 volts used in doors, all the lights using over 1000 volt are for advertising and are in the main used outside. I am sure there are exceptions, but the bright city lights is where you find most of the lighting over 1000 volts.

It does seem in USA 120 volt is NOT classed as low voltage, they call 12 volt low voltage, and extra low voltage is either between lives or live to earth this means a separated supply could well be 12 volt line to line but could still be over the 50 volt line to earth, the three types of extra low voltage PELV, FELV and SELV the latter is not connected to earth, and FELV does not need to be connected. I have found door bell supplies which have lit neon testers, and on testing to earth show well over 12 volt, personally I feel a door bell should have a PELV supply because of the length of cable and possibility of it running close to low voltage supplies and picking up voltage due to inductive or capacitive links.

Outside again PELV but it raises the question where to connect to earth, it does not need bonding as item bonded to may not be earthed. All my outside lights at 230 volt. I did at one point try some solar rechargeable types but they did not really work.

Excessively repetitive to the point of trolling. Electronic transoformer is wnat the manufacturers call them so please live with it, on this forum. Boilers don't boil water, but plumbers don't whine on and on and on and on and on over and on and on.
There is your oft-repeated lie that there are no such things as electronic transformers.

There is your oft-repeated lie that our nominal voltage is 240.

There is your oft-repeated lie that the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) defines supply system low voltage as voltage in the range 50–1000 V AC or 120–1500 V DC.

There used to be your oft-repeated lie that sockets must not be used on lighting circuits.

There are no such things as electronic transformers, FACT. It is a term invented by ignorant people who don't know what a transformer is.

Our voltage is 240 v average, FACT, buy a multimeter and measure it, do you know how to use one? Uo is a made up thing that bears no resamblance to reality.

It appears that the IEC have changed their definitions. Only recently has this come to light.

Not having (13A) sockets on a lighting circuit is an opinion which you don't agree with, whether it is officially sanctioned or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back