Must be my Lucky Day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the dno jointer turned up, on time as well. I asked him a few questions re: Isolator Switch, increasing the Main Fuse size & also possibly moving the Meter. The result ?

From this :-

old.jpg

To this :-

new.jpg

Reasonably neat job 'n' all. I can now get onto the LABC to sort out the inspection etc. I'm WELL chuffed now :) He also told me that there was no correct main earth into my property, seeing as the original installation hadn't been done properly in the cutout :eek:

All it cost me was a few cuppa's and a bacon 'n' sausage banjo :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Interesting they have used a switch with red/black lever, and red clips to indicate phase. Still using up old stock?

Interesting they have used a switch with red/black lever, and red clips to indicate phase. Still using up old stock?

Been brought up many times in my company.

Apparently we have loads of red and black isolators, and they're not ordering anymore until they are used up.

How long did it take between phone call to them turning up?

How long did the job take?

Did you have any tactic when dealing with call centre bimbo?

I need the same stuff at my place, any tip would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How long did it take between phone call to them turning up?

About 3-1/2 weeks

How long did the job take?

Hour an half or so

Did you have any tactic when dealing with call centre bimbo?

Not really coz the original phone call was just to ask them to replace the "Green thing at the bottom of my meter that's leaking a load of black goo" :LOL: I tried to get in touch with them to ask them to fit an isolator switch and also to upgrade the service fuse on the visit but I couldn't get
through. :confused:

I need the same stuff at my place, any tip would be appreciated.

Well, nothing fancy really, I just told the guy that I've had a sparky in to price a job for me ;) & he recommended the above items to me to change, so I asked the guy if he could do it, to which he said "yeah no problem". I thought I would get a "No Chance" when I asked about the meter move because of the age of the cable but he again replied "No Problem". :)

He never once suggested that I "Make a Donation" to the cause so to speak but he accepted a load of Tie-Wraps & Tape out of the back of my van ( And of course the cuppa's & the Bacon Banjo ) because he has to pay for them himself, whereas I get them for nowt at work.

All you can do really is to ask him & see if he's prepared to do it.

I would have liked to have seen the tails from the cutout to the meter replaced, but still looks like a decent job.

No TN-C-S conversion/ Or is it not available in your area?

IMO, TN-S is not converted to TN-C-S, unless the Ze is horrendous.

Is the neutral from cut-out to meter thinner? Why didn't he change them too?

And why cut away part of the sheath on the new short tails from meter to isolator?

The neutral tail looks like its been around a heavy tobacco smoker for a very long time.

Saw an overhead TN-S supply today!

I would have liked to have seen the tails from the cutout to the meter replaced, but still looks like a decent job.

I thought he may have changed them as well but I wasn't going to moan, he saved me about £335 by moving the board there and then. :D

The phase tail is actually thicker than 25mm cable, although it's just the outer sheath because I watched him do the whole job and the actual remains of the conductors that he cut-down are identical in size to the new 25mm cable he used for the new tails.

I thought he may have changed them as well but I wasn't going to moan, he saved me about £335 by moving the board there and then. :D

The phase tail is actually thicker than 25mm cable, although it's just the outer sheath because I watched him do the whole job and the actual remains of the conductors that he cut-down are identical in size to the new 25mm cable he used for the new tails.

Hello,

Can I ask you if you had any of your equipment on the existing board and if the guy complained about this.

We have a junction box on ours and I am worried that if we get a pedantic DNO operator he'll refuse to do work on our install.

thnks

Can I ask you if you had any of your equipment on the existing board and if the guy complained about this.
We have a junction box on ours and I am worried that if we get a pedantic DNO operator he'll refuse to do work on our install.thnks

The RCD for the Jacuzzi was on the board & I had fitted an Earth Bar. The guy never mentioned anything about them & just did his stuff. Actually, he re-wired the old bit of 10mm Earth Wire from the old cutout to the Bar with new 16mm. He's left the old board up on the remains of the stud wall, so I'm gonna use that for my new CU instead of Chip as it's in good nick :-

exist.jpg

Is that bare conductor showing where the new tails connect to the old T&E?

Well now that you've got a nice new isolator, I would put a straight set of tails from the isolator straight into the cu with no junctions

what about the origianal green goo problem? did they sort that and if so how?

Is that bare conductor showing where the new tails connect to the old T&E?

No, I had to do a double-take myself there :LOL: What the guy did was strip the outer sheath of the old crappy T&E to the CU and just taped over the Red/Black insulation with Blue/Brown

Well now that you've got a nice new isolator, I would put a straight set of tails from the isolator straight into the cu with no junctions

That's what I am going to do. I will probably use the tails he has left because they're plenty long enough. I aren't going to do it yet though because the new CU is going to sit on the same side as the moved meter gear & I have to get everything planned and submitted to the LABC first.

what about the origianal green goo problem? did they sort that and if so how?

It wasn't green goo plugwash, it was bitumen leaking out of the old Cast-Iron cutout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back