MWC and MEBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got collared by a neighbour this morning to have a look at a pendant in his hallway, he'd replaced the old one and then the fuse blew immediately......., I had a quick look to see whats amiss and he'd basically screwed up his connections and fried the terminals :rolleyes: .

I've replaced the pendant and tested the circuit (all tests passed OK). Looking at his CU, an old grey metal 6 way wylex fuseboard, his MEB's are only 6mm.........(TNCS by the way).

So the question is can I just put them as undersized and recommend upgrading in the comments section in part 2 of the MWC or do I need to upgrade them ???

I want to build a portfolio of jobs ready for my NICEIC later in the year, and if I'm going to do it I want to do it right. :D

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, no addition or alteration should be carried out unless the installation is verified as safe. That includes any earthing or bonding arrangements.
By completing a MWC without installing correctly sized main protective bonding conductors you're in direct breech of regulation 131.8.
I would suggest installing the correct main protective bonding conductors and then completing a MWC.

Sponsored Links
I know that the bonding must be correctly installed and verified if I were adding to or altering a circuit, but I wasn't sure about it in this circumstance as its a like for like replacement of a damaged accessory.

What happens if you had a call out to something similar i.e no upstairs lights in the house, fuse keeps blowing etc if the bonding was as in this case undersized do you refuse to do the repair until the bondings upgraded ?

Just want to make sure I have my understanding correct......

I was thinking more of covering the original reason why the ceiling rose was replaced.

I can, however see the point made by Spark123 and yourself.

Our company does shed-loads of direct replacements without upgrading the MEB's. This has been okayed by the ECA.

If we do installation work, then we have to upgrade earthing arrangements if inadequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back